Talk

Advanced search

Two questions for feeding an almost 8 month old

(7 Posts)
Hels67 Mon 20-Aug-07 13:22:07

Hi there,

My DD is almost 8 months old and has a good appetite.
I want to give her pasta in a sauce but am unsure of the amount of pasta to give her - a tablespoon or more?

Also for freezing quantities of food - what kind of container is good to use now DD can eat a fair sized portion? I only have quite large tuppaware containers - are containers available in sizes similar to ramekins, as they might be best?

Thanks

flipster Mon 20-Aug-07 16:30:30

Hi there -
my ds nearly 8mths too and sometimes gets thro a whole ice cube tray in a day (although is now going thro a more milk than solids phase). I have found these small round ramekin-sized plastic pots in Woollies. They have lids and work really well if out and about. Very cheap as well.

LittleMissLate Mon 20-Aug-07 16:39:40

I'm giving my 8mth old about 10g of spaghetti (broken into little bits) mixed in with pasta sauce as a portion (lots more sauce than I would have so it is quite soft). I got some semi-disposable pots with lids in Boots (think they were in their basics range) that I use for freezing meals for her. Or just freeze in bags - I put a bag in a mug and fill just under halfway.

PrettyCandles Mon 20-Aug-07 16:45:47

I freeze portions in a deep non-stick cup-cake pan (small muffins, IYSWIM), 12 to a tray. Once frozen I turn them out and put them loose in a large tupperware box, and keep them in the freezer like that. That way I don't need to have a million individually labeled and re-labeled little pots and lids rattling around.

Their appetite varies from day to day, as well as from child to child, but I would say 1 tablespoon each of cooked pasta and of sauce would be a reasonable starting point.

Hels67 Mon 20-Aug-07 17:59:10

Plenty of ideas there, thanks !

For those cup-cake pans, PrettyCandles, do you mean those colourful pans that are flexible so the cakes or whatever are easier to turn out? I think I've seen them in a tuppaware range, although they must be available and cheaper elsewhere?
A good idea too to keep them in a larger box, I'm so fed up of having to search through my freezer container with all DD's food looking exactly the same sort of orangey-yellow colour, whether it is sweet or savoury..!

katwith3kittens Mon 20-Aug-07 18:38:41

You can always wash out and re-use plastic containers that you have bought other groceries in; ricotta cheese tubs, houmous tubs, large yoghurt pots etc.

PrettyCandles Mon 20-Aug-07 19:06:15

I imagine the flexible pans would be very easy, but I don't have any. I find that the food turns out easily from my non-stick pans. I just turn it over on top of a chopping board, give it a few sharp whacks against the board, and most of the contents just pop out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: