Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which milk on cereal?

(8 Posts)
Daffodilly Sat 18-Aug-07 14:23:52

DD is 9 mths old and now has about half an Oatabix for her breakfast with cow's milk on it. I have been buying full fat milk for her, but she uses so little and I end up throwing most of the pint away a couple of days later. We have semi-skimmed - do you think it is OK to give her this on cereal?

She still has ~15 oz of formula a day and no worries about weight as she's been 75th centile since day one. I always use full fat milk if I'm making up something like a cheese or white sauce sauce and she gets plenty of fats from cheese, butter, avocado, oily fish, etc.

What does everyone else do?

Wilkie Sat 18-Aug-07 19:19:22

Why don't you freeze it into ice cube trays and defrost a couple of cubes at night?? You really should be using full fat milk, not semi.

colander Sat 18-Aug-07 19:20:44

If you are using full fat milk for everything else, a bit of semi-skimmed just on her cereal shouldn't do any harm at all.

Daffodilly Mon 20-Aug-07 14:25:13

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll aim to use whole where we can - but not stress about it everyday then.

Wilkie - good idea on freezing, but I have the tinest freezer and it is already stuffed full of baby cubes of one sort or another!

Baffy Mon 20-Aug-07 14:27:44

Can you not make her cereal with formula milk?

I did this for ds and then when he went onto full fat cows milk at 1, I then used that for everything...

Hels67 Mon 20-Aug-07 18:02:48

I buy full fat milk for DD (8 months) and use it on cereal (weetabix, porridge and bitesize shredded wheat ) for her. If it looks like it's going past its Sell by date, I use it for myself on my porridge and boy, does it taste good !

Manictigger Tue 21-Aug-07 12:40:11

Daffodilly, I do exactly the same as you. My dd only has milk on cereal (and then only literally about a teaspoonful to slightly soften it - she's BLW so she picks it up herself so it can't be too mushy) so buying a pint would be so wasteful. She does get full fat yoghurt, butter, cheese etc and is still bf so I'm not going to worry too much. In a month's time she's 1 and I'd like to give up bfing so I'll start buying full fat milk for her then.

LittleB Tue 21-Aug-07 12:44:10

After getting fed up of having full fat and semi in the fridge I gave up the semi and we all have full fat milk now, haven't out on any weight and it tastes much better! and better for dd too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now