Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Finger foods and teeth!!

(4 Posts)
loolop Wed 15-Aug-07 13:07:19

I have just started to give my 6mo DD finger foods such as cucumber,apple,pear,toast etc however as she has 3 top teeth and 2 bottom teeth as soon as I give her something she bites bits off and as she hasn't learnt to chew I am terrified the bits will get stuck in her throat so I end up taking it off her (which she doesn't appreciate!) What did everyone else do about this?!

MrsBadger Wed 15-Aug-07 13:26:26

what happens if you don't take it off her?
does she choke?
be on hand to rescue her if she does, but I bet she won't
NB may be better to try with softish things like pear and toast than with crunchy apple
and don't confuse gagging - which is how babies move food from the back to the front of their mouths - with actual going-blue can't-breathe choking. Aitch has a good page on the difference here

Habbibu Wed 15-Aug-07 14:16:17

For your own sanity I'd start with softer stuff - steamed carrot, ripe (or even steamed) pear. Toast probably ok. But for the rest - yes, read Aitch's blog. And prepare to be surprised at just how quickly your little one catches on...

loolop Wed 15-Aug-07 18:50:42

Thank you! MrsB - you're right she does just gag and spit out any big bits and will have a good go at swallowing some! I'm a bit of a novice at all this and thought that if I gave soft things she would be able to bite through them even easier? Right am off to read Aitch's blog!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now