Talk

Advanced search

high chairs

(25 Posts)
tootyboots Wed 15-Aug-07 00:02:57

has anyone got either the Bebe confort 'omega' high chair of the new silver cross 'sovereign' high chair. I think i have narrowed it down to either one of these but cannot really find any reviews on them. Really want a goo high chair that reclines and is height adustable but am concerned at some reviews i have read about some high chairs suddenly 'sliding' down to the lowest height with no warning and the baby still on board! - any advice really appriciated. x

moodlesoup Sun 26-Aug-07 18:56:58

my advice is get the ikea one for £15. i spent a fortune on trippe trappe one, and the ikea one is so much more flexible and easy to clean...

professorplum Sun 26-Aug-07 19:01:17

I agree. Ikea is the best one. Dd seems really uncomfortable in the more 'elaborate' ones. I've also got a tripp trapp for ds which is good when they're older.

peanutbear Sun 26-Aug-07 19:02:30

I would second the dvice I spent lot on dd's its hard to clean nd gets in the way i saw a little ikea one the other day and thought about buying one and selling mine

bitzermaloney Sun 26-Aug-07 19:37:33

White plastic Ikea here... so easy to keep clean. Never saw the point of a reclining one - after all they're going to eat in it and they need to be sat up properly to do that (risk of choking etc). Ds had his from 6 months and never seemed uncomfortable in it.

LaCerbiatta Sun 26-Aug-07 19:51:33

I have an elaborate one: the polly something from chicco. Imo it was a waste of money... the tray is too big to wash easily in the sink, it is a nightmare to clean, it's virtually impossible to get all food bits out. It is quite confortable and I suppose it was useful when dd was little and I could put her in it with lots of toys and she would entertain herself for half an hour and then I could recline the back if with any luck she happened to fall asleep (she did twice). But for the purpose of feeding and if I new then what I know now I would have bought the ikea one (which I have in my parents house).

ruddynorah Sun 26-Aug-07 20:00:43

ditto. we were given an all singing all dancing highchair from m&p as a gift, i sooooo wish we had just got the cheapo ikea one. easier to clean, no nooks and crannys. you don't need it to recline or be height adjustable. the ikea one has a removable tray so can sit at table height with everyone or sit with tray for snacks etc. def. get tray if you're doing blw. our next baby will have the ikea one.

SydneyB Sun 26-Aug-07 20:12:35

Another vote for Ikea. Inflatable cushion you can put in when they're small and take out when they're more stable. Not too big and tucks away in kitchen instead of gigantic garish thing that takes over your house. You can even take it away for the weekend if visiting inlaws as the legs pull off. And what a bargain at £15!

mrschop Sun 26-Aug-07 21:10:24

I just bought the silver cross one - as is v light and folds down quite small. Agree that the Ikea one is handy for older babies, but if you want to put a young baby in the highchair (as I do with my 15 wk DD -she sits at the table, with the seat reclined, while we eat) you need one that has more support and wings on the side of the seat. And the wheels on the silver cross are great - for DS I had a cossatto one with winged seat, that went up & down and reclined, but had no wheels and was a real pain to move around the house.

Aitch Sun 26-Aug-07 21:12:29

i vote ikea antilop as well, if it's for weaning rather than just sitting up at the table.

SlightlyMadShockwave Sun 26-Aug-07 21:20:28

I wanted a £100 job, but couldn't really afford it. When I asked on here there were lots of recmmendations for teh Ikea Antilop. In fact the Ikea one and the £100 job I wanted (Chicco Pollyanna) were amongst the very few that got universally good ratings in reviews.

DP saw the recommendation for a £15 Antilop, and given it was cheap wanted to give it ago. I gave in on the basis that I would get my way in a few weeks when we had more cash and I wasn't concerned about "wasting" £15. That was nearly a year ago and we still have the Antilop.

It doesn't recline - but we have never needed it to as we didn;t start weaning until 6m and DD was a good sitter (with support) by then.
It isn't height adjustable - but we have not missed that either.
It hoses down or will go in the shower. There are no crevices for food to accumulate either, and as a result looks as good as the day it was bought (unlike my friends padded mothercare jobby which is starting to look grubby - just thru normal use).
Finally it can easily be dismantled to fit in teh boot of hte car forlunch at Grandmas or a week away. Ours went in our boot along with 2 suitcases a travel cot a pushchair and other bits and bobs.

My recommendation - spend £15 in Ikea. If you don't like it you have hardly lost anything and may save yourself a lot of money.

Aitch Sun 26-Aug-07 21:30:41

also, the antilop has been bought by so many restaurants and cafes round here that dd considers them a home from home and doesn't kick off.

Manictigger Wed 29-Aug-07 11:30:04

And as a bonus for the Ikea chair, Mothercare do a wipe-clean padded insert that fits it perfectly (about £12). In fact I suspect that the stock buyer for Mothercare saw how popular the Ikea chair has become and had it specially designed.

SydneyB Wed 29-Aug-07 15:23:53

Ikea sell their own insert for £3!

Reesie Wed 29-Aug-07 20:38:15

I agree the ikea one is fab - I have it and it's soooo easy to clean. I have even been known to stick it out on the patio when it's raining when I have been feeling too lazy to clean it...came back in beautifully clean grin

Also - comes apart very easily to go into the boot of the car. My friend has a lovely extreemly expensive wooden one but I still wouldn't swop mine for it!

Manictigger Thu 30-Aug-07 15:14:55

Sydney, unfortunately at the time I bought the chair, I stupidly thought, 'surely that'll make the chair a bit of a tight fit' didn't bother buying one and then several months later when we used the chair thought 'bugger'. Our nearest Ikea is a bit of a trek away whereas Mothercare is just up the road. (And most of the time I just can't face the hell that is Ikea)

Nemo2007 Thu 30-Aug-07 15:18:32

Ikea one is tops, they have it at our toddler group and considering they have been going years with hundreds of babies using them 5 times a week they are spotless!!!

We have a bruin cheap plastic on which is fab as I can just run the cloth over it and comes up as new, the cushion insert can also be wiped over and think it cost £20 and is now being used by DD2.I had a wooden one like trip trap which kept falling apart, I had a wooden one with a flip over tray which was lovely until it cracked and I have had a big cushioned super padded one that I could never get all the dirt out the crevisis!!!

Nemo2007 Thu 30-Aug-07 15:18:32

Ikea one is tops, they have it at our toddler group and considering they have been going years with hundreds of babies using them 5 times a week they are spotless!!!

We have a bruin cheap plastic on which is fab as I can just run the cloth over it and comes up as new, the cushion insert can also be wiped over and think it cost £20 and is now being used by DD2.I had a wooden one like trip trap which kept falling apart, I had a wooden one with a flip over tray which was lovely until it cracked and I have had a big cushioned super padded one that I could never get all the dirt out the crevisis!!!

hana Thu 30-Aug-07 15:27:42

has no one mentioned the tripptrapp?!?!

we have both - 2 tt for the older kids, and the ikea white cheapo for the baby. Both are fab. If money is tight I'd go for the Ikea one, if not the Tripp Trapp is def worth the money. dd1 is still using hers 5 years later. am perched on it now

midnightexpress Sat 01-Sep-07 13:39:08

Another vote for the Ikea one. We've got two and they stack on top of each other (should you have two tiny tots), and we just stuff a small cushion in for ds2 as he's still quite little.

battlecat Sat 01-Sep-07 21:04:40

Tripp Trapp one is pants imo... impossible to get ds in and out of. We got a Svan one which is great but wish I'd known about the Ikea one now.

Hulababy Sat 01-Sep-07 21:07:09

We had, still do and DD is 5yo, a Tripp Trapp and it is fantastic. Looks great, easy to keep clean, tucks under table well, encourages family eating together, etc. Never had any problems with it at all. Been used daily for 5 years now so although expensve to start with, we have had our money's worth.

battlecat - never had any problems getting DD in or out of TT, nor any of the other little ones who have used it since when visiting.

PigeonPie Sat 01-Sep-07 21:18:54

Another vote for the Tripp Trapp here. No problem getting DS in and out (and he has a large padded reusable nappy bottom!) and now at 21 mo he can get himself in and sat the right way round. Won't be long before we take the babyset off and start using it as a chair I should think.

The Ikea one looks ok but I couldn't see anywhere for them to put their feet which I feel is important - there are so many seats where I can't reach the floor and I find it uncomfortable!

doyouwantfrieswiththat Sat 01-Sep-07 21:28:12

East Coast jobbie - it's wood so easy to clean & durable, the straps can be unscrewed to throw in the washing machine. It folds away. It's very stable (Mils have an Ikea one and it's a bit flimsy).

you can flip the table back and use it next to a dining table if you like (but the high chair table won't slot on after you've sat your kiddie in it which can be a bit of a pain)

If you think it looks a bit uncomfortable you can get cushions for it but I haven't bothered.

the first one looks the same & is less expensive what a bonus

Aitch Sat 01-Sep-07 21:39:13

ikeae one is not flimsy, truly it isn't. it's hugely stable. the east coast one is good, but the tray is a bit flat i've found (they have one in a local cafe) so the food flies off when they're doiing finger food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now