Talk

Advanced search

Baby now only wants sweet/fruity stuff!

(8 Posts)
Moonshine160 Mon 14-Oct-19 18:53:49

My DS is 7 months old next week. We started weaning at 5 months on the advice of the health visitor and GP due to reflux and poor weight gain. Weaning has improved the reflux and was initially going well. We started on veg purées, then fruit purées, and once we got over the initial gagging it was going well and he liked all tastes, his faves being cauliflower and broccoli! We then moved onto textured purées which was going ok but he seemed to struggle with a thicker or grainy texture and we have also been offering finger foods alongside (small pieces of pasta, toast fingers, sticks of cucumber, banana just to name a few). Hardly any of the finger foods were swallowed, mostly just played with and thrown on the floor, bits went in his mouth but spat out, but I was happy just to let him have a play with it because he was doing so well being spoon fed so there was something actually going in.
Well these last few days have been really different, he gets fed up within 5 mins of being in his high chair, wriggling and getting agitated, if I try and spoon feed him then he just grabs the spoon and throws it on the floor and he’s refusing finger foods completely now. He will happily accept fruit purées and yogurts from a spoon and wolfs these down but anything savoury he doesn’t seem interested. Is this just a phase? I’m worried that he’s only going to want the sweet stuff and it’s going to be a struggle to get him to have anything else. He’s also been a bit off his milk. He is teething so this probably isn’t helping, however he’s been teething for weeks now due to getting three teeth consecutively. Any advice on how to vary things again? And how to get him to be a bit more interested in the finger foods? I try to make meal times light hearted and fun but he just seems fed up. I think I get easily worried about this because I don’t want to start worrying about his weight gain like before. Thanks

Megasaur5keeper Tue 15-Oct-19 20:05:45

Try giving him a spoon to chuck about + try to use himself while you shovel other things in maybe? If you think teeth are bothering him would a wee dose of painkiller before food maybe help?

Fantababy Tue 15-Oct-19 20:13:52

My DD (29 weeks£ is quite similar. She will still gum away on toast and rice cakes but will refuse/ spit out anything on a spoon that's not puréed fruit. I think I'm going to pull the fruit altogether in favour of veg purées till she (hopefully) gets used to more savoury tastes. She'll put carrot and broccoli sticks in her mouth but then generally chucks them on the floor. (The waste is killing me!wink)

MustardScreams Tue 15-Oct-19 20:16:26

You can stop weaning for a week or so, give him time to forget about it and start again.

I’d personally ditch the purées and just go straight for finger food. Pop them on his highchair tray while you eat yours and let him get on with it. If he eats he eats, if not it’s no drama.

Dd ate barely anything until she was 18 months, eats everything now. I just went with it and didn’t stress out.

birdybirdbird Tue 15-Oct-19 22:21:17

My 13 month old always used to go off savoury stuff right before he would cut a tooth. No idea why but he’d suddenly only be interested in fruit. So hopefully it might just be a phase that will pass soon

Moonshine160 Wed 16-Oct-19 13:28:49

Thanks everyone! He’s had a little bit of lumpy purée this lunch time (spag bol which I blended up) and I have him some small pieces of broccoli and cauliflower and put them on the tray. He did pick them up and bring them to his mouth but anything that was chewed was spat out. I assume as time goes on some of it might be swallowed? I’m sure it’s completely normal, I just worry too much!

Ohnoherewego62 Thu 24-Oct-19 07:48:12

Mines has a thing for sweet stuff where theres teeth coming through!

Maybe use sweet potatoes or butternut squash strips as they're still sweet and may be more appealing!!

MeadowHay Fri 08-Nov-19 20:46:57

Mine didn't start to swallow finger foods til she was about 9 months and wasn't eating anything resembling a proper solid diet (quantity wise) til she was almost 1. So don't worry about that. Food before one is for fun.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »