Talk

Advanced search

Baby wont have any finger foods!

(3 Posts)
Shanmoore Sat 28-Sep-19 19:48:13

Looking for some advice. Little one is 8 months old, been weaning for 2 months. I really wanted to do blw. I have tried all sorts of things for my little one to try. From the beginning he would take the food put it in his mouth try and swallow and gag and then projectile vomit. I'm not talking a little bit, everything. I had to resort to purees. He now has quite lumpy, mashed foods and purees. I consistently try and give him finger food with his purees and have done from the start. Anything other than the vegetable melty puffs ( which i dont like using) he gags and throws up. He has 8 teeth and can chew lumps. He just wont have finger food. Anyone else have experience of this? We also have issues of him biting loads off of the finger food and then gagging on that. I often have to scoop it out of his mouth. I know it sounds silly but I feel like he isn't making any progress on this and we will just be stuck on purees for a long time!

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Sat 28-Sep-19 19:53:22

Just keep offering them. Babies’ gag reflexes are really sensitive and far forward and so it’s takes time, some more than others. The ones who are on purees forever are those who don’t offer/encourage the next stage. He’ll get there.

Expressedways Sat 28-Sep-19 20:04:06

Totally normal! Some babies won’t be spoon fed, others won’t feed themselves. My DD was just like your DS, right down to the puffs! Be guided by your baby. I did mostly chunky purées plus a bit of finger food alongside (more for play than eating). At age 1 it all clicked into place and she went to the other extreme and started refusing to be spoon fed- it was finger foods only from that point. They all get there, you don’t see children starting school only eating purées! If he’s enjoying a variety of different foods then he’s doing great for 8 months.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »