Talk

Advanced search

First tastes - purée and finger food

(6 Posts)
firstimemamma Fri 27-Sep-19 20:55:21

This is how I did it. Obviously feel free to ignore, all babies are different!

Wanted to start at 6 months but caved in at just over 5 months as so many signs were there! I personally did the same thing twice for the first 2 weeks to give him a chance to get used to the new flavours and textures e.g. days 1 and 2 banana mashed up, days 3 and 4 avocado mashed up, days 5 and 6 carrot purée etc.

We didn't go anywhere near baby rice as apparently it isn't very nutritious (not that they count on solids for nutrition at that age anyway) and I also just didn't like the look of it.

It was just single ingredient fruit or veg purées for the first few weeks. After that I gradually began to combine ingredients/ experiment with herbs and spices.

To be honest beyond the first few weeks I didn't have much of a plan at all (other than that I was keen on him having home cooked food) and I think you may be better off going with the flow a little more. I noticed you have quite a detailed plan - nothing wrong with that but I personally just followed the lead of my child and his needs. You really can't predict what your child will be like with solids 4 weeks down the line so planning for that stage seems like a potential waste of effort to me but that's just my opinion.

We introduced finger food much later than what's considered 'the norm' these days but only because I was a total wuss about choking!

Also we started with just a midday meal for first few weeks and then gradually built up to breakfast and dinner then breakfast, dinner and tea. Followed his lead again with this. He didn't have any snacks until age 1.

Ds is 14 months now and is a great eater. Likes all food. Has 3 meals a day & 2 snacks, loves family meals. I'm fully aware the 'fussy toddler' phase may well be just around the corner.

Good luck smile

mrsed1987 Fri 27-Sep-19 20:45:56

Depends what you want to do

I did 1 week vegetable puree, next week vegetable and fruit, then third i did porridge veg and fruit. Then i just start adding in bit of finger food.

I started at 5.5 months, he is now 8 months and loves most things. Except vegetables on their own! (Ironic as the whole point of doing them first is so they avoid a sweet tooth, hasnt worked with my ds! Lol)

Clangus00 Fri 27-Sep-19 20:38:30

Baby rice has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever.
I didn’t do purée at all and went straight to finger foods at 6 months.

reginafelangee Fri 27-Sep-19 20:30:35

Depends on babies age.

We started at 6 months and just got stuck straight into normal food - mix if spoon and finger food.

Roast dinners through to homemade curries.

dementedpixie Fri 27-Sep-19 20:23:25

Well it depends on your dds age as to the foods you give and whether they are puree/mashed/finger foods. I also wouldn't just stop the puree/mash at a set time in favour of finger foods as you dont know how well your dd will take them.

darlingsweetpea Fri 27-Sep-19 20:11:33

Hello
I'm about to start weaning my little girl and. I've read the NHS website and a few books and am totally confused as to what I am meant to do. Does this plan sound about right:

Week 1 different vegetable each day resembling yoghurt consistency
Week 2 and 3 continue with vegetables and add in fruit resembling yoghurt consistency

Week 4 and 5 start mixing flavours - still purée this but leave some lumps. Also add in some finger food for BLW. Begin to add meat and dairy.

Week 6 stop purées and continue BLW

Also, am I meant to use baby rice? My daughter is formula fed.

Thank you so much for reading

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »