Talk

Advanced search

BLW - showing signs of readiness at 5 months

(9 Posts)
ChaosMoon Fri 13-Sep-19 19:42:28

DD has been sitting up competently since just over 4 months (and holding her head steady since a couple of weeks old).

She puts everything in her mouth. Nothing misses.

Unless I'm mistaken, the last sign of readiness is swallowing food instead of spitting it out, but I won't know that without giving her some broccoli, or whatever.

She's just over 5 months and grabbing at any and all food we have. It's it time, or just too early?

thethoughtfox Fri 13-Sep-19 21:36:39

I don't think that is what matters. They know now that babies gut bacteria (I think it is) isn't ready to cope with food until 6 months and it can cause problems. Worth a Google.

ChaosMoon Tue 17-Sep-19 07:59:29

Sorry @thethoughtfox, I didn't get a notification. Google is throwing up very mixed results, with little data either way, but this was my concern.

The information my HV pointed me to didn't actually give any inform on gut health, and seemed to assume that no baby would show those signs of readiness more than a few days ahead. I'm going to wait though. Much as DD clearly thinks I'm a cow for not sharing!

bruffin Tue 17-Sep-19 08:01:43

don't think that is what matters. They know now that babies gut bacteria (I think it is) isn't ready to cope with food until 6 months and it can cause problems. Worth a Google.
Nonsense, never been any evidence for this

bruffin Tue 17-Sep-19 08:05:39

If there was any evidence the recent allergy studies such as EAT would not have been allowed to introduce foods at 3 months.

bruffin Tue 17-Sep-19 08:11:11

EAT study

ESPGHAN position paper

recreationalcalpol Tue 17-Sep-19 08:11:58

It’s fine OP - she’s meeting the signs of readiness. My DS met those just after 23 weeks, which is when we weaned. All fine. The gut thing is nonsense, perpetuated by Facebook meme.

MitMopse Tue 17-Sep-19 08:21:22

My second child was grabbing food off my fork at 5 months. I was nervous about weaning before 6 months guideline, but she was so ready! Weaned her at 5.5 months and she's never looked back! Three now and eats whatever is in front of her. No issues with digestion as a baby - just take it steady and do what you are doing- let them guide you!

It will be fine to start introducing some foods the guidance is just that, your judgement seems spot on to me.

ChaosMoon Wed 18-Sep-19 17:09:35

Thank you so much ladies! I'd read the EAT study but not the ESPGHAN position paper, which is such a useful resource! Particularly this bit - "The available data suggest that both renal function and gastrointestinal function are sufficiently mature to metabolize nutrients from CF by the age of 4 months and that, to a large degree, gastrointestinal maturation is driven by the foods ingested."

I just didn't know where the gut thing had come from to know if it was safe to ignore.

Right. I'm off to buy her an avocado!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »