Talk

Advanced search

Weaning 2yo off milk

(11 Posts)
whenweallfallasleep Thu 29-Aug-19 19:08:29

I'm 9 weeks pregnant, and still breastfeeding my DS who has just turned two. I'm ready to stop feeding him, but I'm not sure how to do it.
During the day if he asks for milk I distract him, get him cows milk or water or diluted juice, and play with him. At night time DH is doing the bed time routine as he usually does, which used to start with a little feed after his bath. He is becoming upset at bedtime that for the last few days this hasn't been offered, and is going to bed crying for milk. DH keeps going in to settle him and eventually he falls asleep. He also asks for milk if he wakes in the night.

I feel awful taking it away from him because he obviously gets a great deal of comfort from it and doesn't understand why I'm now saying no. My boobs are so sore and I'm ready to stop.

Indecisivelurcher Thu 29-Aug-19 19:17:14

I've not had this problem but my friend has, she managed to stop feeding her 2yo a fortnight ago by explaining to him that her breasts are broken! Possibly worth a try!

whenweallfallasleep Thu 29-Aug-19 19:19:42

I've just been doing a bit of reading online, and quite a lot of advice seems to be to explain to your child why you're stopping, rather than trying to sneak it past them, so that might be a good idea!

lumpy76 Thu 29-Aug-19 19:25:11

Once your milk supply drops (around 15 weeks for me usually but somewhere in the second tri) you'll find it easier to wean. You can, if you want to carry on and tandem feed but if you don't the beat way I've found (weaned 7 children - mostly whilst I've been pregnant with another) is to cut the feeds shorter and shorter and use distraction to avoid feeding if possible. I don't believe in lying to a child if possible. Some people do find that toddlers self wean when Mum is pregnant due to low supply or changes in flavour.

gothicsprout Thu 29-Aug-19 19:33:35

I night weaned my DD fairly early into pregnancy as it was making me feel really sick. We went for explaining that mummy and the milk were really tired, and we had to wait until the radio came on in the morning. Took a few nights and some tears, but lots of cuddles and all was ok.

We kept feeding at bedtime and other times but also started cutting them shorter if I was feeling rubbish by doing a countdown out loud to the end of the feed - one trick is you can count faster/slower depending how you’re feeling.

zsazsajuju Thu 29-Aug-19 19:36:18

Why don’t you give him formula? It’s better for him than cows milk.

whenweallfallasleep Thu 29-Aug-19 19:38:08

I like the countdown idea- I think he'd find that entertaining too.

@zsazsajuju I didn't know that!

moreismore Thu 29-Aug-19 19:38:46

Look at Dr Jay Gorden gentle night weaning method. It works really well.

zsazsajuju Thu 29-Aug-19 19:39:31

My dds had nighttime bottle of formula till 4. Helped them sleep and made sure they got all the nutrients they needed- they were fussy eater.

zsazsajuju Thu 29-Aug-19 19:41:55

FOrmula has iron and fish oils etc added. It’s basically modified cows milk with some of the bad stuff taken out and good stuff put in. The “growing up” milk is a bit cheaper and the formula of it has less protein to fill them up less (although any will do).

Sleepthiefsmum18 Thu 29-Aug-19 19:47:30

@zsazsajuju A 2 year old is fine to drink cows milk. Formula is not necessary

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »