Talk

Advanced search

Baby eating advice - for me

(8 Posts)
Mumma2be7727 Wed 28-Aug-19 20:26:24

Hey.
I'm not sure if I have posted in the right section but I'll go with it anyway smile

My daughter is 10 months old and has been on solids for a while (she's doing well ) but me on the other hand I'm so paranoid about her choking.
I won't give her food I know she can eat because I'm terrified she will choke. Everyone always says she'll be fine, she can eat that, but in my head I'm thinking she will choke so refuse to give her certain foods that most babies her age (even younger) are eating. I dread every meal time incase she chokes, I'm intensely watching her because in my mind I feel that she'll will choke and I won't be able to help her. Every mealtime I get more anxious about it and I'm just at the point where I know I'm holding her back from eating and exploring other foods, I feel awful for her sad especially when I see other mums feeding their children all kinds of food, it just makes me feel worse.

So I'm just wondering if anyone else felt that way with their babies, if so did anything help? Did that feeling pass? Any advice really.
Thank you in advance!

OrangeSwoosh Wed 28-Aug-19 20:29:27

Go and do a first aid course so you know what to do for choking (or any other emergency for that matter). She can't eat soup for her entire life!

katycb Wed 28-Aug-19 20:29:47

Yes I felt like that was totally paranoid. I did a baby first aid course and it chilled me out knowing I was prepared. They were done though although I still usually cut their grapes and they are 5!

tappitytaptap Sat 31-Aug-19 07:24:22

I didn't feel as strongly as you but that is probably because I had to wean DS1 baby led as he wouldn't take a spoon! Even though I did that I was still nervous weaning DS2 (now 11 months) as he had a habit of shoving broccoli or other finger foods down his throat and bringing up a load of milk. That phase passed pretty quickly though and now I give him a minute when he's gagging (shoving too much in!) and he sorts it out. Has she gagged a lot before OP? What are you feeding her?

Mumma2be7727 Sat 31-Aug-19 08:41:23

@tappitytaptap - she's gagged a few times but managed to bring it back up and sort herself out. She's eating plenty. She eats all fruit and vegetable if soft. She loves mashed potatoes, the filling from fishcake or any fish really she likes. She eats pasta dishes, Mac & cheese, stuff like that really, she's also having some jars of food which I'm trying to move away from now. It's just when it comes to moving her up to a harder (not too hard ) food she will struggle and gagged on it, so I don't give it too her anymore because she struggled with it. I know I'm holding her back so much because of my own anxiety about it sad

tappitytaptap Sat 31-Aug-19 09:28:01

Have you tried her with toast, strips of other breads, omelette, strips of meat? If she can manage pasta she'll be fine with those. I suffer from anxiety so totally understand how you feel, however the thought of these things is usually worse! Sounds like she is a good eater smile

TapDanceJazzHands Sat 31-Aug-19 09:30:19

I also recommend doing a baby first aid course. I did with my first and it really helped.

Yogurtcoveredricecake Mon 02-Sep-19 09:01:19

I'm always amazed by how they cope with food - they just work it out. Knowing what to do if she chokes is a good idea so a course or at the very least a YouTube video. My DS has been eating food for over a year (BLW) and has only had one incident where I was worried he would choke.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »