Talk

Advanced search

Weaning snacks/lunch

(14 Posts)
DannyWallace Wed 28-Aug-19 20:12:15

My DD is 6.5 months old. We're doing a mix of BLW and puree.

Can anyone recommend snacks/lunches for when we're out and about. She has the Ella's kitchen melty things, and we will often order toast in a cafe, but I don't think either are too nutritious. She's not a huge fan of fruit but I'll keep trying.

Any other ideas of things I could take into cafes/she can eat as part of a wee picnic?

sleepismysuperpower1 Wed 28-Aug-19 20:29:32

homemade puree recipes, which you can put into these pouches with use of the machine:
fish puree
apple, pear and raisin puree

BLW recipes: this book has loads

all the best x

DannyWallace Wed 28-Aug-19 20:48:25

Thank you.
I actually have both of those. 😀.

I wasn't really wanting to take purées on a picnic or somewhere else (mostly due to mess) so was just looking for easy finger food I could have it my bag.

I'll re-read the BLW book

M0reGinPlease Wed 28-Aug-19 21:01:30

Cold eggy bread cut into strips or triangles

Mini frittatas made in paper cupcake cases

Home made flapjacks with dried fruit

Breadsticks or cucumber sticks and mini houmous pots

M0reGinPlease Wed 28-Aug-19 21:02:57

Oh, porridge fingers! How could I forget. Google recipe.

Ricekrispie22 Thu 29-Aug-19 06:54:56

There are loads of recipes for savoury flapjacks on the internet. I like these ones for my DC
www.myfussyeater.com/savoury-carrot-flapjacks/
blog.lakeland.co.uk/recipe/carrot-courgette-feta-savoury-flapjack/

This lentil bake works well too www.healthylittlefoodies.com/curried-lentil-bake/

Frittata muffins realfood.tesco.com/recipes/oven-baked-pea-ham-and-pasta-frittatas.html

This is also suitable for packet lunches www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1445/tuna-balls-with-pea-and-sweetcorn-pasta I used to make a big batch of the tuna balls and freeze and just cook pasta and peas when needed.

DannyWallace Thu 29-Aug-19 19:58:38

Thank you! These are fantastic ideas!

Grimbles Fri 30-Aug-19 12:45:39

My DD loves crackerbreads with houmous

Firefly111 Sat 31-Aug-19 18:09:41

I second making frittatas in a cupcake case! My DD loves these and you can make different each time by just adding different fillings! They freeze well too so good to make a big batch, freeze them then just get one out in the morning and it’ll be defrosted by lunchtime!

Yogurtcoveredricecake Mon 02-Sep-19 09:02:46

Porridge fingers, savoury muffins, sweet potato biscuits, wraps rolled up with a filling, veg sticks

mrsed1987 Tue 03-Sep-19 10:02:59

I love weetabix bites from the baby led weaning app. My LO loves them.

I tend to take cut up fruit, which can be messy but i think you just have to put up with it lol

kirstywursty012 Tue 03-Sep-19 13:03:47

Omelette fingers. I also steam some veg everyday and grab some of those if I'm heading out. The M&S bags are amazing (albeit a little pricey) She loves the courgette and butternut squash

HarrietM87 Tue 03-Sep-19 13:05:43

Roast potato and carrot sticks are nice; houmous or peanut butter and rice cake

FusionChefGeoff Tue 03-Sep-19 13:10:53

I used to get parsnip, carrots, potatoes and butternut squash. Cut up into batons and roast slowly in a huge oven tray with a sprinkle of herbs.

When cooked, I'd lay them in a single layer, flat on a tray / plastic chopping board covered in cling film to freeze.

Once frozen, you can tip the whole lot into a freezer bag to save space then grab a handful of sticks in the morning and they're defrosted by snack / lunchtime.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »