Talk

Advanced search

Meat ideas for baby

(14 Posts)
AmericanAbroad Wed 21-Aug-19 19:38:49

I only eat chicken & some white fish, and even so mainly eat a vegetarian diet. But I find I'm struggling to offer meat to my LO since it's just not top of mind when I'm thinking about meals.

Does anyone have suggestions of easy ways to offer little ones meat that aren't a big meal I'm not going to also eat?

I'm thinking tinned mackerel/salmon, mini sausages, but what else?? (He's DF too)

Ricekrispie22 Thu 22-Aug-19 05:21:59

You haven’t said how old you LO is.
Fishcakes are good and can be frozen www.motherandbaby.co.uk/family-life/food/dinner/mini-fish-cakes-recipe
Tuna cakes www.healthylittlefoodies.com/tuna-and-potato-cakes/
Mini cottage pies www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/mini-cottage-pie-2/
Mini meatballs www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/mini-meatballs-2/

AmericanAbroad Thu 22-Aug-19 06:59:25

Thanks @Ricekrispie22 I like the idea of things that can be frozen and thawed individually.

LO is 7mo, so still getting to grips with eating - but even more so don't want to skip him getting used to different meats (and conscious of getting iron rich foods in him)

NoodlesMcGee Thu 22-Aug-19 07:05:32

It might be worth offering small portions (like strips) of steak? You could freeze small portions and defrost as needed. This would be full of iron.

NoodlesMcGee Thu 22-Aug-19 07:07:10

Also iron-fortified cereals for breakfast and spinach (purées or wilted leaves).

AmericanAbroad Thu 22-Aug-19 07:11:02

Thanks @NoodlesMcGee
Any suggestions on cereals to try? So far he's only really liked porridge or wheatabix for breakfast

Spam88 Thu 22-Aug-19 07:14:58

I did what PP suggested with steak - cooked it, cut into strips and froze, then would just give her a couple at a time.

happycamper11 Thu 22-Aug-19 07:15:45

Iron fortified cereals are pretty useless seeing the milk they are eaten with blocks the absorption of iron. Bolognese and chilli is good, cottage pies, stews/casserole home made fish fingers (dip in flour, milk, breadcrumbs and fry)

happycamper11 Thu 22-Aug-19 07:17:47

Annabel karmel does great recipes for the things I've mentioned above where you can make a batch to freeze individual portions.

bellinisurge Thu 22-Aug-19 07:23:16

Porridge or weetabix is fine, surely.

Ricekrispie22 Thu 22-Aug-19 08:02:11

This meatloaf is great for freezing, cut into slices first. Makes good finger food www.madeformums.com/baby/simple-meatloaf/

AmericanAbroad Thu 22-Aug-19 08:52:01

Thanks all. Have my shopping list ready (though going to save the steak for DH to cook...can't handle cooking red meat 🙊)

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 22-Aug-19 12:17:58

Sausage makes a great finger food. I'd buy the best quality you can afford and make sure you cut it lengthways, otherwise it can be a choking hazard.

These meatballs an be frozen in portions and would be a good finger food too, I'd just cut them up a bit first smile

tappitytaptap Fri 23-Aug-19 09:17:27

How about things with mince (pork/lamb/beef) like little burgers, koftas, meatballs, meat loaf? DS2 likes pulled pork and chicken too. All of those could be frozen in small portions.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »