Talk

Advanced search

6.5 months going backwards with weaning

(15 Posts)
Impossibletofindausername Sun 11-Aug-19 13:41:11

So my daughter is 6.5 months and we started weaning at 5 months due to reflux and her being a very fussy milk drinker so paediatrician advised to wean early we started off with veg for a week then fruit for a week then combination of fruit and veg she was loving it and just gave her as much as she would take, however I feel she is going backwards and not as interested is this normal?
I have been giving her thick purées and finger melty crisp however she probably only eats 1 pouch over the day is this a normal amount? I tried her with water melon finger and she bit the end off and was gagging on it and it came back out so I’m now scared to do many other finger foods yet was going to wAit another 2 weeks and try again

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 17-Aug-19 16:55:03

Please don't worry about the gagging. It might not be pleasant but it's just that, gagging not choking. Have you had a look to see what to do if she did ever choke? This can help to calm your anxiety as babies can choke on purées too.

I'd say a pouch is about right over a day.

At first they usually have about the size of their palm for a meal. Don't worry at all about how much she's eating, it will come in time.

If you do want to stop for a few days though, this is absolutely fine. Weaning is not a linear process and it might help you to relax a bit and reassess.

Has the weaning helped the reflux at all? Has she been allergy tested or have they suggest CMPA to you?

Spam88 Sat 17-Aug-19 17:10:57

That seems fine, they still get their calories from milk at that age anyway. The gagging is totally normal and protects them from choking, and their gag reflex is a lot further forwards when they're little as well.

Impossibletofindausername Sun 18-Aug-19 13:06:57

@JiltedJohnsJulie
Thank you for your reply so she’s not gagging as much however I’m thinking she’s now doing it as in I don’t want any more and she knows I’ll stop when she’s doing it because some she’s starting off well having a good few spoons enjoying and then starts doing it. So she choked on Calpol at 11 weeks old and I had to slap her back to get her breathing again and she was sick so was all okay so think that has traumatised me and just think the food might get stuck I guess I really need to just try her with things and see what she does don’t I.
I did stop for a few days never made much difference so just going with her flow again some days will eat some days not interested
No weaning hasn’t helped the reflux at all however since the last week her sickness is less but she still regurgitates.
So they tried her with two hypoallergenic milks nutramigen made her worse so they then gave her pepti and by the end of the day she ensued to drink it no matter what I done. However do you think if it was CMPA would she have spells were recently she’s been draining all her bottles and wanting more this lasted two weeks and overnight literally stopped and back fussing nothing changed at all??
At my wits end now milk back being a nightmare and not so interested in food

Impossibletofindausername Sun 18-Aug-19 13:07:56

@Spam88
Thank you for your reply, I know milk is still there main source think I was just hoping she would take to food because she’s a terrible baby to feed her bottles too

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 18-Aug-19 15:30:34

It does sound like she could be having a reaction. I've got CMPA and I am having a massive reaction at the moment, although Hod knows what I'm reacting to. It's making me really grumpy and the last thing I want is food.

Which milk is she on now? Is she on a comfort milk at all? Does she ever have mucus in her poo?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 18-Aug-19 16:22:49

God not Hod grin

Impossibletofindausername Sun 18-Aug-19 18:07:56

@JiltedJohnsJulie

Oh really I was going to say do you know much about CMPA, so she’s always been a happy chilled content baby and for the last month I would say she’s been more moany and for the last week she’s moaned constantly I didn’t know if it was just an age phase thing.
She’s just on normal Aptamil , I’ve recently put her on Aptamil 2 and think I’m regretting it or it coincidence because she’s messed with her bottles more since. No never had mucus in her poo

BunnyRuddongton Sun 18-Aug-19 19:30:25

Could you you swap her back to Stage one? There’s no need for the state 2 milk, unless there’s a financial need but I guess you wouldn’t be using Aptimal if you were too concerned about the cost smile

Impossibletofindausername Sun 18-Aug-19 19:33:43

@BunnyRuddongton

Oh yes I’m defiantly buying number 1 again tomorrow and seeing if that’s the cause of this because today has been awful hasn’t wanted a bottle neAr all day eventually drinks some but lots of messing

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 22-Aug-19 15:53:42

How are you getting on now @Impossibletofondausername?

Impossibletofindausername Fri 23-Aug-19 10:09:06

@JiltedJohnsJulie
So went back to aptamil 1 and she drank the first two bottles no problem and since then back fussing refusing after about 3oz if you walk around she eventually drinks most of it, in between poking it out with her tongue
As for food still the same keep offering her and she’s not very interested however yesterday she ate half a weetabix which was very good for her .
Literally haven’t a clue what I’m suppose to do or why she’s fussing feeding worse than ever

NiinasMummy Thu 12-Sep-19 07:58:09

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Harrysmummy246 Thu 12-Sep-19 14:35:04

OP- my very good eater wouldn't manage more than half a weetabix until he was over 18 mo! That's pretty good for a 6.5 mo

Impossibletofindausername Thu 12-Sep-19 19:58:56

@Harrysmummy246

Thank you for your reply. She’s now 7.5 months and it’s getting worse some days will eat breakfast and dinner then no tea. Some days have 1-2 spoons and no more

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »