Talk

Advanced search

Does this sound like a balanced diet for 6m dd?

(20 Posts)
massivebigpantsface Wed 01-Aug-07 20:27:44

PFB alert!
just wanted to make sure so here is a snapshot of what she has had this week

Sat - porridge and nectarine
tuna, mashed potato and cheese
fromage frais
rice cake and banana

Sun - weetabix
lentil and veg stew
yogurt and fruit
banana
carrot stick

Mon - porridge and mashed banana
potato, sweetcorn and carrot
yogurt
scrambled egg and toast

Tues - weetabix
cauliflower and brocolli cheese
with peas and courgette
rice cake
carrot stick
fromage frais
avocado and rice

sorry I know I sound a bit obsessive, its just that we don't eat meat, only a bit of fish now and then, and I'm worried she's not getting everything she needs, particularly iron.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 01-Aug-07 20:31:40

She's six months old - surely she should be getting most of what she needs from milk? [confused]

raspberryberet Wed 01-Aug-07 20:32:06

She doesn't need a "balanced" diet at this age - just to be eating bits of food and getting plenty of milk. There is plenty of time to make her diet "balanced", at six months it's just about experimenting with taste and texture, and finding out what she likes.

She does seem to be eating stacks of food for a siz month old. How much milk is she having? Because milk contains iron (both breast and formula) and as long as she is getting plenty of milk she's fine for iron.

lulumama Wed 01-Aug-07 20:34:37

blardy hell !! that is a lot of food !!

milk should still be the main source of nutrition for her

3 meals a day at 6 months is not neccesary. nor are snacks

milk is the main focus, with first tastes of food being given as a compliment, not a replacement for milk

fingerwoman Wed 01-Aug-07 20:34:53

if you're worried about iron then it'd be good for her to have more green leafy veg. things like the broccoli are good but adding dairy will make it much harder for her body to absorb the iron- so try giving it by itself or in a tomatoey sauce or something.
think dried apricots and chickpeas are also good sources of iron.
otherwise I really wouldn't worry- at 6m her main source of nutrition should still be milk which will give her all the vits and minerals she needs

Biglips Wed 01-Aug-07 20:38:38

wow!! he eating real foods??? this was similar to my dd's balanced diet when she was about a year old or abit later. When my dd was 6m old she had mostly milk and 3 small meals a day

massivebigpantsface Wed 01-Aug-07 20:39:30

thank you! Don't be confused NQC! it is I that is confused! lol!
relief - thats fine then!
She is still bf and has plenty of milk throughout the day plus about 3 feeds during the night.

It does look a lot of food since I have written it down! She seems to be enjoying it, sometimes has a lot, sometimes a little - loves playing with it!

massivebigpantsface Wed 01-Aug-07 20:41:06

[worried]

am I giving her too much!

massivebigpantsface Wed 01-Aug-07 20:42:05

quick! reassure me!

lulumama Wed 01-Aug-07 20:42:54

as long as you are feeding her milk before food, then it is probably fine.. don;t be in a hurry to get her onto to a set regime of 3 meals a day....

massivebigpantsface Wed 01-Aug-07 20:45:49

thank you. I have been, she loves her mummy milk!
Perhaps I have been a bit over enthusiastice with her menu! Its a hard balance this first time mum lark

thats the advice I needed, thanks all, you may now return to a more intresting thread....

rainbow83 Wed 01-Aug-07 20:49:16

gosh... thats what my top of the centile charts fatty , greedy dd1 was having... when she was about 1.

Biglips Wed 01-Aug-07 20:49:50

the reason why my dd was on 3 meals a day @ 6m cos i weaned her at 4 months as she was gong thru 9 bottles of 7-8 oz of milk a day!!! so i decided to wean her and it was the right time too. i weaned her with 2 very small bowls of pureed banana or pureed porridge and slowly extended the meals and lowered the milk.

massivebigpantsface Wed 01-Aug-07 20:53:52

well the last weigh in, about 4 weeks ago, dd was lighter than the average on the chart. Nothing to be concerned about , she was just a little poppet!

gosh why am I so sensitive? - I feel like I've got it all wrong now

Biglips Wed 01-Aug-07 20:58:27

well at least her weight is good

Well done Mummy xx

fingerwoman Wed 01-Aug-07 20:59:11

she sounds just fine. as long as she is feeding first and still having plenty of milk then it doesn't matter how much food she has (be that nothing, or loads)

I think your list looks a lot because there is a wide variety on it- which is a good thing. it doesn't mean she is eating tons of everything you list and will be a huge bloater lol.

massivebigpantsface Wed 01-Aug-07 21:15:03

thanks, I'll get her weighed again next week, should be interesting. I think I'll just carry on as we have been and see how she goes. FWIW - i have listed things like (mini size)'rice cake' but more often than not she will only gum off about a quarter before it disintegrates into a sticky mess that I have to scrape of her hair/cat/bumbo!

annoyingdevil Thu 02-Aug-07 10:43:10

My ds was eating a similar amount at that age. All babies are different and some are not satisfied by milk alone. My ds was losing weight until he started eating solids at around that age. If you are worried about low milk intake, I would suggest extra protein and plenty of dairy (cheese, yogs etc.) Eggs are a good source of iron (if you don't 'do' red meat)

massivebigpantsface Thu 02-Aug-07 12:59:34

no, i'm not worried about low milk intake, she gets nearly as much as she ever did. i feed on demand and always give into those little comfort feeds too.
i really just wanted to make sure that she wasn't getting too much of one thing and not enough of another. i have heard that iron stores gradually deplete after 6 months so wanted to make sure shes getting everything she needs.

RBH Thu 02-Aug-07 13:16:59

Dried apricots are high in iron. You can stew them up and then puree them. I usually stew in a little water and then puree with orange juice so that the vitamin c can aid iron absorbtion.

website with some info

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now