Talk

Advanced search

8 mth old refuses any sort of sippy cup. Should I worry?

(22 Posts)
Jojay Wed 25-Jul-07 10:04:14

My ds breast fed until 5 months, and has also taken a bottle since birth, with no problems.

Now he is formula fed, and has started solids, but is not interested in taking water or milk from a sippy cup.

He still drinks a fair amount of milk, and has 150 ml in a bottle before his solids, so I'm not convinced he's actually that thirsty.

Do most babies drink out of a sippy cup at that age? What did yours do?

TIA

Pruners Wed 25-Jul-07 10:05:27

Message withdrawn

winestein Wed 25-Jul-07 10:06:10

Mine took a while, with every different cup on the market (I think that may have been why he took so long in retrospect!)

At around 10 months old, he just "got it" straight away with a particular cup.

Persist!

winestein Wed 25-Jul-07 10:06:54

10 months... I am lying - it was 14 months.

winestein Wed 25-Jul-07 10:08:38

My HV said not to get a non-spill cup incidentally as it is not a natural action for the baby.
The ones that worked best for me were the really cheap ones from pound shops. First Steps or something - and they are 2 for a pound

Jojay Wed 25-Jul-07 10:10:14

Was told the same thing about non spill cups. I'm using a cheap Tommee tippee one at the moment. It has no valve or anything, but the flow is quite slow as the hole is very small.

Tommy Wed 25-Jul-07 10:12:07

I would give him and yourself a break

I tried every cup on the market with DS1 and he still only drinks his milk out of a green spout Avent beaker (he's 5 )

So....I didn't worry about it with DS2 and he went onto a beaker and a cup at a fairly normal age I think - probably around a year IIRC

CodAintUsingFairyNonBio Wed 25-Jul-07 10:13:46

1 odnt owrry
2. try tommee tippe not that farking anywa up cup

Jojay Wed 25-Jul-07 10:14:02

So if he drinks about 20 oz of formula a day, and nothing else, he's getting enough fluid??? (Does seem fine at the momnet admittedly)

CodAintUsingFairyNonBio Wed 25-Jul-07 10:14:02

tommy
your kdsi so neeed to lsoe that cup fgs!!

CodAintUsingFairyNonBio Wed 25-Jul-07 10:14:19

bt you he dirnks out of a cup ats hcool

hes taking the piss

CodAintUsingFairyNonBio Wed 25-Jul-07 10:15:06

http://www.tommeetippee.co.uk/shop/products/first-cup-4-months.html

Tommy Wed 25-Jul-07 10:17:28

cod - he drinks water out of a cup no worries but his milk has to go in the bloody green spouty thing

We tease him about it but I have long since stopped nbeing over anxious about it tbh.

CodAintUsingFairyNonBio Wed 25-Jul-07 10:18:46

well yes
we lost ds3s fave cup once and he was ifne abtu ti
t ehn foudn it a year later( wiht water luckily) in the beach bag

" oh lok he said" my fave cup

he was about 2

Jojay Wed 25-Jul-07 10:20:16

Cod - that's the cup I've got

CodAintUsingFairyNonBio Wed 25-Jul-07 10:21:15

keep going
i remmeevr=ber amte had htis issue
i bet if oyu put ribena in it hed drink it liek a shot!!"

but odnt

Jojay Wed 25-Jul-07 10:23:39

Thought the same about Ribena.

but didn't either....

Jojay Wed 25-Jul-07 10:24:00

Might try a fruit shoot though

Jojay Wed 25-Jul-07 10:24:39

Or G&T - 'tis the only thing his mother never turns down

CodAintUsingFairyNonBio Wed 25-Jul-07 10:26:28

i a ahd a g and t the other day

kids loved it

devonsmummy Wed 25-Jul-07 10:31:14

My DS 8 mths has just started drinking from that Tommee Tippee cup. I had tried loads of others as DS would not take fluid from anything other than me. I saw a diferent HV at 8mth check and while all others said try from a normal cup she recommended the TT cup. I'd definatley give it a go.

lilysma Fri 27-Jul-07 21:11:07

My dd 8 months initially drank a little from a tommee tipee sippee but then started refusing it. Now she drinks quite well from a doidy cup (one of those slanted ones you can get from NCT and probably elsewhere). I guess different cups suit different babes. She has always refused a bottle. Any reason I should persevere with a sippy??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now