Talk

Advanced search

Cows milk for 8 month old

(10 Posts)
devonsmummy Tue 24-Jul-07 22:22:40

Is it ok to give my 8mth old ds cows milk on his cereal?

Coolmama Tue 24-Jul-07 22:27:53

I think cows milk is not recommended until your baby is at least a year old - you can use EBM or formula instead

devonsmummy Tue 24-Jul-07 22:30:22

Thanks coolmama- wasn't too sure if it was ok just for brekkie.

suezee Tue 24-Jul-07 22:31:37

i think its ok for breakfasts like porroge and weetabix........but just wait til ds is 12 months until u decide to give it him in a bottle/drinking cup

Coolmama Tue 24-Jul-07 22:32:00

I think best to err on the side of caution.

ThursdayNext Tue 24-Jul-07 22:34:28

I thought it was fine on cereal?

twinklylottie Tue 24-Jul-07 22:35:02

cows milk is fine in things like porridge, custard, cheese sauces etc but not for your DS to drink until he is 12 months

Jojay Tue 24-Jul-07 22:46:19

My ds is 8 months and he's had cow's milk on cereal etc. I thought it was fine, just not as a main milk drink, ie it would not replace EBM / formula.

It's because it doesn't contain the right nutrients to replace the enire milk part of a young babies diet, but added into the diet it is fine, unless you have reason to believe he may be allergic / intolorant to it.

That's what I thought anyway. Many foods that are commonly given to babies will contain cows milk - cauli cheese, rice pud, custard, macaroni cheese, etc etc.

yelnats Tue 24-Jul-07 22:57:08

i was speaking to hv about this yesterday and apparently its fine to use for cereal and in cooking but not as a main drink.

clutteredup Tue 24-Jul-07 23:01:55

if using fomula its cows milk based anyway so as long as you're not using it as main milk drink its fine... actually someone else on MN told me that when I was worried about the same thing a while back....good old MN

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: