Talk

Advanced search

weaning at 5 months....... or not?

(18 Posts)
choklit Sun 22-Jul-07 12:13:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ruddynorah Sun 22-Jul-07 12:17:01

personally i don't see weaning as being about satisfying hunger. milk is for that. weaning is just about getting used to food. i did blw (baby led weaning) which is an optio you may want to look into. plenty on here about it. you wait til they can feed themselves, much easier.

beansprout Sun 22-Jul-07 12:17:08

I would go for the extra feed first. Their digestive systems aren't quite ready yet, hence the 6 month advice. Also, rice/pear etc won't fill them up more than milk and certainly aren't as nutritious.

FWIW, ds was 1lb5oz and fed until he was 7m.

beansprout Sun 22-Jul-07 12:17:35

Er, that would be 10lb5oz!!!

lulumama Sun 22-Jul-07 12:18:38

i too would continue with extra milk

even when you start weaning, food is a compliment, not a replacement for milk.....and should be the main source of nutrition for the first year

a good milk feed is more satsfying and calorific than a bit of food at this stage

choklit Sun 22-Jul-07 12:25:44

beansprout Sun 22-Jul-07 12:27:14

I did a late night feed for a long time. Just got him up and he fed in his sleep. This works for most babies.

Aitch Sun 22-Jul-07 21:09:33

i introduced a late-night feed to dd at about this time, as i recall. keep up the good work, choklit.

maxbear Sun 22-Jul-07 21:51:30

I personally feel that it gets to the point for all babies where milk is just not enough, unfortunately for mine it was at four months. I started weaning ds three weeks ago because he was bf constantly during the day and when he came up for air he just cried. Anyway he has been much more content in the last few weeks and how anyone could have said that all he needed was more milk, well not my boy. I would have loved to have been able to wait until 6 mo but it was not to be. You have got to do whatever seems right to you, but to cry after draining a 9oz bottle? You can't give much more milk than that to a child this age. I'm not saying that it is the right thing to do, but don't forget that years ago it was normal to wean at 12 weeks and most people were ok with that.

Gee72 Mon 23-Jul-07 10:01:19

I would agree to add a late night feed as your first move. Have to say though the first night my DS slept through from 11pm - 7am was after his first baby rice (5 1/2 months). Coincidence? Not that getting them to sleep through is the be all and end all of course. Wish we'd waited that extra couple of weeks just to be on the safe side, but you can't turn the clock back and I'm pretty sure he was ready.

ELR Mon 23-Jul-07 10:08:07

i would suggest starting weaning but slowly and say half way through mid morning feed with alittle bit of carrot or apple or pear, i def would not wake up at 10 pm as he has a nice sleep pattern, i would increase milk a little in the day. This of cause is only my opinion

muppetgirl Mon 23-Jul-07 10:10:48

Have to say I agree with maxbear
My ds was a big baby and by 4 months he was draining 9oz bottles but was still hungry. Try the night feed if you really want to stick to the guidelines. He ended up grabbing a sandwich off my plate and stuffing it in his mouth (you can say he was emulating what we were doing but i beleive it was more than that that) I started him on banana, baby rice and he seemed to settle again very quickly. I feel the advice is based on average babies but my son was needing more than milk -also he was not gaining much weight, waking early, not satisfied with milk and seemed almost angry when he drank his milk.

witchandchips Mon 23-Jul-07 10:12:16

i agree with ELR, do it slowly just to see how it goes.

witchandchips Mon 23-Jul-07 10:15:09

yes think guidlines have to be only that, My ds was 20lbs at 16 weeks and was sitting up with help around that tine too. Surely he would have been ready for food much earlier than a baby half his size whose back was still much weaker.

ELR Mon 23-Jul-07 10:15:38

also do what feels right for you dont question your mothers instinct and dont be swayed by others opinions either for or against weaning

lailasmum Mon 23-Jul-07 10:15:54

I agree that some babies need it earlier than others. My daughter started solids at 4 months without problems. but like most people have said its only a little introduction really at first. I think you sort of know when they change and need a bit more and it helps if they are sitting up.

PrettyCandles Mon 23-Jul-07 10:20:32

I did that (the OP) with dd, adding exta bfs during the day and a ff at about our bedtime for 2-3 weeks. When she started giving us the guilts while we ate, and trying to grab food from our plates, I decided that guidelines were just that - guidelines, not instructions - and started her on solids. She was 5m2w when we started solids, and, apart from a milk intolerance, has been absolutely fine and wolfing down food ever since. The milk intolerance was only to plain milk, she was fine with other dairy products, and outgrew the milk problem by about 2.5y. HTH

choklit Tue 24-Jul-07 13:22:03

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now