Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How old were your DCs when they 'took to' solids?

(23 Posts)
Guitargirl Sat 14-Jul-07 17:04:18

Just started weaning DD a few weeks ago when she turned 6 months. Have tried both mashed up food and finger foods and she isn't exactly tucking in with relish if you know what I mean.

Some days she refuses to eat any solids at all. Have spend the past God knows how long listening to people telling me how 'desperate' she must be for food as she was watching what we ate, etc. but she doesn't seem too keen at all. How old were your children when they started enjoying their food?

lulumama Sat 14-Jul-07 17:11:34

milk is the main source of nutrition and calories for the first year.....so look at weaning as exploring taste, texture and more fun ... DS loved food, and took to solid food beautifully, DD was not into food until she was about 15 months or so..even now, she has days of eating little...

Flopadop Sat 14-Jul-07 17:33:29

My dd was just like yours. It took her until she was 10/11 months before she actually went to having 2 tiny solid meals a day. She is now 2 and half and to be honest is still not too keen on mealtimes at all.

about 18 months (he would eat, but not very much before that)

Jomaja Sat 14-Jul-07 19:54:06

Ds is 10 months old now and has only started in the last month to show more interest in food. Up to that point he mainly explored his food (which he is still doing).

TheArmadillo Sat 14-Jul-07 19:56:47

I'd agree with Lulumama in that up till the age of 1 solids are an optional extra to milk.

I wouldn't worry about it till then

TheArmadillo Sat 14-Jul-07 19:57:56

oh and after a year I would expect them to eat regularly but maybe not much.

Of course there are some who wolf it down from day one, but some don't.

my mom always says: food's just fun until they're one!

terramum Sat 14-Jul-07 21:39:47

DS starting eating solids with gusto at 10 months....but that turned out to be a growth spurt coz after a couple of weeks he went back to mostly bm. Wasn't until 18 months that he had any quantity of solids regularly that meant he had more of them than bm.

Guitargirl Sun 15-Jul-07 10:34:13

Thanks for the responses!

I shall carry on as we have been doing and ignore everyone who's been telling me that the reason DD isn't keen on solids is because I've waited too long before weaning her and have breastfed her for too long...

Quiddaitch Sun 15-Jul-07 17:53:15

not quite the same situation but perhaps interesting for you to read, guitargirl.

callmeovercautious Sun 15-Jul-07 21:18:35

If she is BF she is used to regulating her own food and is obviously doing just that. My DD ate solids as if she had been doing it from day one but even she has days where she throws most of it away. I have started to chill about it. Some days she will take food from a spoon other she won't and eats it by hand (including porridge!) mostly I give her finger food and she plays some great games that usually result in hosing down the whole house but some of it goes in and I have to console myself that at least she had fun!

Piffle Sun 15-Jul-07 21:20:49

my ds1 was a big baby but never relaly liked solids until at least 8 mths and even then it was only porridge and toast.

it was a year before he would eat meat and any decent amount of anytihg else.
then he just suddenyl embraced it and has never stopped sicne ( he is now 13 yrs old and a big lad to this day)

cece Sun 15-Jul-07 21:24:40

DD was like that and is still quite a picky eater.

DS on the otherhand ate 10 teaspoons of baby rice on the first day of weaning, 15 the second day and hasn't really stopped eating since.

I think they are all different really.

claireybee Mon 16-Jul-07 11:16:25

DD has only started eating at 13 months, and even now has days where she hardly eats anything. Yesterday she ate loads, today so far doesn't seem interested. My friends 2 year old is the same though!

katewilson13 Mon 16-Jul-07 12:09:51

I am so relieved to read this post. My DS is almost 1 and isn't really eating very much at all. I can usually get the equivalent of half a weetabix in him for breakfast, the equivalent of half a jar for lunch and that's about it. He loves his formula milk. He eats much more at nursery and if we all eat at the same time. I will try and chill about it!

NAB3 Mon 16-Jul-07 12:11:40

My first child had baby rice at 19weeks 5 days and got the point straight away. I started my second child about the same age b ut she took a while to get the point. We had to go back to pureeing after she had been poorly but eats okay now. I can't remember with the youngest but I think he was okay.

IntergalacticWalrus Mon 16-Jul-07 12:19:15

DS1 was 9 months, he wasn't having any of it

DS2 was 6 months and scoffed everytrhing in sight

It's normal for some children to not get it strightaway.

In fact, I read somewhere that some babies aren't ready for solids until they are way past 6 months

I'd keep offreing, but maybe every fewe days rather than everyday, as you will just get stressed. Offering ots of finger foods was what got DS1 stareted eventually

Don;t stress!

krispie Mon 16-Jul-07 12:23:23

sorry, haven't read all the thread but my friend's baby (9months) is refusing any type of solids at all. she literally only has formula. They took her to a baby whisperer who gave them a few ideas but basically said that some babies just aren't ready until they are a lot older. she has known babies refuse solids until about 15 months. The upshot is that she is happy and a healthy weight and 'forcing' the issue will only lead to longer term problems.

Guitargirl - ignore all those people commenting on your dd's eating. as long as you know that she's a good weight and well in all other aspects im sure the food issue will sort itself out in its own time!

Guitargirl Mon 16-Jul-07 16:48:29

Thanks - DD has been sucking happily away on a peach for the last 20 minutes.

It's good to hear others' experiences, all my friends seem to have babies younger than DD who eat a lot, never refuse food, cry if the spoon is taken away, etc.

Highlander Tue 17-Jul-07 11:17:37

DS2 (9mo) will try absolutely anything - but doesn't actually swallow much. Saying that, the largest amount of food he has eaten so far is some home-made chicken curry on Sun night!

spina Thu 19-Jul-07 14:19:43

ds2 (who's 6 and a half months )is happy to eat banana or peach yoghurt or porridge. took to eating in a very enthusiatic fashion about three weeks ago,then got bored and has gone off food almost completely unless it's the above(or veg smothered in banana yoghurt)

DS1 took longer to get food and will eat anything(and everything!)

Just hope DS2 will be left with nooption but to eat the chickpea tagine cos that's what the rest of us are having!!!!

charliegal Wed 25-Jul-07 20:33:19

krispie, what's a baby whisperer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now