Talk

Advanced search

finger foods - how big should my sticks be?

(5 Posts)
Jacksmybaby Fri 13-Jul-07 17:11:09

What size should I make fruit/veg/toast etc sticks for my 6 mth old ds - just roughly I mean, as have no idea of best size to avoid choking. Presumably bigger than the type of eg pre-chopped carrot sticks you buy in supermarkets? Also while I'm on the subject do you butter the toast sticks and if so will the flora light I have in the fridge be ok or should I buy proper butter? Sorry for daft qu's but new to this - feels like being a new mum all over again!

nightshade Fri 13-Jul-07 17:47:58

i went on the theory that bigger the better, as it is easier to choke on a small piece than a big piece. also baby found it easier to grasp big bits. she hasn't choked to death yet!

ruddynorah Fri 13-Jul-07 18:22:23

chop them all differently, then you can see which your baby prefers. sometimes they like long thin pieces, other times they like short fat ones. think of the toys he plays with and puts in his mouth, how big are they?

i would use proper butter. best to steer clear of processed stuff and anything 'light.' babies need plenty fats.

Sixofone Mon 16-Jul-07 10:58:42

I do varying sizes and shapes especially with toast! Because I read somewhere that it's good to give them both things they can put in mouth whole, and things they can bite bits off of.

I always butter toast, and still butter it even when I am putting cheese spread on as well (twice as many calories that way). We usually buy organic unsalted butter, but if I haven't got that in then I just use whatever (Utterly Butterly this morning)

PregnantGrrrl Thu 19-Jul-07 10:26:21

i do things about the size of my thumb- my DS is 1yr old

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: