Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BLW and holidays/hotel rooms

(22 Posts)
trixymalixy Thu 12-Jul-07 12:29:13

Ds is coming up for 6 months and I would like to give BLW a go.

DH is away working at the moment and we are going to go and join him for a few weeks so we will be staying in a hotel room.

I was planning on starting with steamed veg, but obviously won't be able to do that in a hotel room.

I was just looking for ideas for non cook finger foods or tips on what other people have done when on holiday.

Will the food in the hotel restaurant contain too much salt if we were to give him food off our plates?

claireybee Thu 12-Jul-07 16:17:13

I'd say just give him bits of what you have-most of the meals should come with a side of veg etc. Also you don't really need to worry about him missing a meal at this stage-he doesnt need 3 meals yet. Take along some rice cakes and fruit such as kiwi, banana or mango that you can give him if there is nothing suitable.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 12-Jul-07 16:17:34

Message withdrawn

LucyJones Thu 12-Jul-07 16:19:25

you will have a much more relaxing holiday tbh if you give the odd jar.

FluffyMummy123 Thu 12-Jul-07 16:22:29

Message withdrawn

AlbusPercivalWulfricBrianSun Thu 12-Jul-07 16:27:18

I disagree - it's easier to give him what ever you find in restaurants than buying jars. For example, when I first started weaning DS I'd ask for toast and give him that with either butter or marmite. You can always find something they'll eat with BLW. Rice cakes and bananas also v. good.

MrsBadger Thu 12-Jul-07 16:29:08

skip it and stick to milk till you get home

or table scraps (bread, veg, pasta shapes)

trixymalixy Thu 12-Jul-07 20:32:50

Thanks

It's possible that we might be away for 6 weeks so don't really want to leave it till after that.

Have been considering jars, but would prefer to start as we mean to go on as I can't be arsed doing the whole puree thing.

Albus - is there not quite a lot of salt in marmite?

AlbusPercivalWulfricBrianSun Thu 12-Jul-07 20:35:37

There might be but if you only put on a small sliver I don't think it's going to hurt. DS has lots of fruit so not worried about him having the odd not so healthy thing.

terramum Thu 12-Jul-07 20:36:47

Where abouts are you going?

trixymalixy Thu 12-Jul-07 20:41:49

Portsmouth - nowhere exotic unfortunately.

Quiddaitch Thu 12-Jul-07 20:53:37

my friend waited til eight months because she was on a grand tour of relatives in Canada and everything was fine. you can start really slowly anyway, just get a side of veg (tell them it's for the baby so no salt), bits of bread, cheese, salad etc. you have to bite grapes in half first, obviously, but it just means you eat a lot of grapes.

terramum Thu 12-Jul-07 21:23:18

Shouldn't be a problem then - if you get stuck then just pop down the local supermarket & buy some nice fruit, plain rice cakes, etc. Might be worth seeing if a sample of the hotel menu is available before you go to see what kind of food they do.

Things I would ask for would be vegetable for your meals cooked without salt...or plain pasta, boiled/baked pots or chips. If they look at you madly when you say its for the baby then just say that you are on a low sodium diet .

We ate out a lot when DS was little & had no problems getting salt free stuff....tbh if you are staying in the same hotel for a long time I would go & ask to speak to the kitchen manager/head chef not long after you get there & explain the kinds of things you might need. I spent a lot of time in the same hotel when I worked before having DS & they were only too happy to accommodate my needs.

If it comes down to it & they still serve you food that's heavily salted then you can always just suck the salt of yourself then give it to your LO

terramum Thu 12-Jul-07 21:25:54

Just thought of something else just as hit post.....ask for things with the sauce/gravy separately....that way you can pick out suitable things for your LO from your plate & then pour it on.

Jomaja Thu 12-Jul-07 21:33:10

Would not worry too much, just give him what you are having in a restaurant, and give him plenty of milk.
Is he interested in eating? DS (10 months) only started about a month ago to really eat, before that he would nibble on food and play with it but not really eat it.
Just give him the things you eat and see how it goes. Be prepared for the mess though .

AlbusPercivalWulfricBrianSun Fri 13-Jul-07 15:59:12

Love the HP name Aitch.

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Fri 13-Jul-07 22:00:53

We've just come back from Dorset with our 6.5 month old! We found hotel breakfasts great - chunks of watermelon, wholemeal toast crusts, banana, porridge, natural yoghurt (+/- banana mixed in), weetabix with milk etc etc. Lunch - just fed her bits of our plates.....bread crusts, tomato quarters (seeds sucked out first and then little bites on each side to make it easier for her to hold), side order of steamed veggies, roasted vegetables (marinade sucked off by us first) etc etc, Dinner - we didn't bother - just offered her a rice cake (e.g. Organix apple flavoured ones - Boots and sainsburys etc). All perfect!

NineUnlikelyTales Fri 13-Jul-07 22:07:33

Come on now. BLW is all well and good but I wouldn't eat a plate myself, let alone offer one to a baby PTIYPASI. (Ignore me, I'm in a silly mood and can't even blame alcohol)

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Fri 13-Jul-07 22:14:24

Haven't you heard......plates in Dorset are made of the most DELICIOUS china

NineUnlikelyTales Fri 13-Jul-07 22:19:05

Yes but they must cause constipation, surely

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Fri 13-Jul-07 22:23:42

Oh for goodness sake, what's the matter with you.....that's what the cider is for.

NineUnlikelyTales Fri 13-Jul-07 22:25:24

Phew, I was getting worried for your poor DD. Those good old fashioned remedies, always the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now