Talk

Advanced search

Am I right? Honey, strawberries and nuts (except peanuts) Ok at 12 months?

(8 Posts)
fizzbuzz Fri 29-Jun-07 15:23:49

Dd one in 2 weeks. I presume these are all ok to give at one year old? Mainly interested in ground almonds as nut stuff

I came out in hives when I ate strawberries at 4 years old. Although have never had reaction since, so where do I stand with dd.

What to give her some strawberries and cream in this delightful summer weather we having. I live in sheffield where it has been extra lovely over the last few days, as witnessed on breaking news on Sky

Frizbe Fri 29-Jun-07 15:25:50

ground almonds should be ok I would have thought, as you get them in lots of stuff, would skip the rest of the nuts though, think the recommendation is no nuts under 5, if your worried about allergies.

msappropriate Fri 29-Jun-07 15:51:13

I don't think almonds are officially classed as nuts, they're a seed. The official advice is 3 years for chopped peanuts, peanut butter etc if you are an allergic family, otherwise its one and whole nuts after 5 because of choking. I never read much about other nuts.

I gave strawberries really early on to my ds as I never read they were a problem till i found mumsnet when he was about 2.

Honey is deffo one though.

Have a look on the fsa website

msappropriate Fri 29-Jun-07 15:52:34

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/agesandstages/children/yrtoddler/

skay Fri 29-Jun-07 16:06:30

Watch out giving strawberries FB.
I went to a friends house where they had a fruit salad with strawberries in. My little one (10mths at the time) had banana from my bowl, but the juice from the strawberries must have run and she must have had a taste of the strawberry, but not she has a strawberry allergy! Cannot even give her Calpol!

skay Fri 29-Jun-07 16:07:15

that should be "now" not "not".

Desiderata Fri 29-Jun-07 16:10:16

Mine's been eating strawberries since he was younger than a year without problems, and all kinds of nuts.

Honey is not advised for children under one year because it's unpasteurized. In the worse case scenario, if there was bacteria present in the honey, an infant gut would react quite badly.

Once the gut has matured, honey is a good, wholesome food for growing kids.

I would add, however, that there are no allergies (nor ever have been) on either side of my family ..

Seona1973 Fri 29-Jun-07 19:56:04

my ds is 9 months old and has had peanut butter with no problems. It is considered ok from 6 months if no family history of allergic disease. He has also had strawberries whizzed up in a puree with other fruits. He made faces at them as a finger food!! The only one I havent given is honey as it is not ok until 1 year.

When can I feed my baby nuts

Is it safe for my baby to have nuts/nut products

When can I feed my baby strawberries/raspberries

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now