Talk

Advanced search

help! My 2 year old is still not started to eat lumpy food

(9 Posts)
duytan Thu 28-Jun-07 23:19:07

Hi everyone any suggestions on what I should cook ran out of ideas my 2 year old is still choking and refusing to eat any lumpy or finger foods i give him

terramum Fri 29-Jun-07 10:18:28

When you say choking - do you mean he literally chokes on the food - turns blue can't breath etc & you have to intervene? Or is he gagging as the food hits the back of his mouth?

compo Fri 29-Jun-07 10:19:04

can't he just eat what you eat at that age or has he a conditon?

duytan Fri 29-Jun-07 16:34:11

he has mild cerebral palsy i dont know whether this has anything to do with it but he will gag and choke and just refuses completly. He still eats food for 7-10 month baby food. he refuses to finger food completly Ive tried lots of foods but the only thing he will eat is pasta and rice.

cathcart Mon 02-Jul-07 21:25:07

thought i'd bump this for you -someone must have some advice!

ksmum Tue 24-Jul-07 13:08:57

My Dd would nto chew or eat lumpy food until she was 18 months. I gave her soft berries at first and we used to play chewing games. it was v boring but is fine now. Have you tried giving him something bad but crunchy like crisps/hula hoops. I discovered that she could chew at a childrens party so this gave me added impetus.

MY HV was also realyl helpful. Might be worth speaking to them as there migth be a medical reason

SpacePuppy Tue 24-Jul-07 13:13:29

is he tactile intolerant to touching or being touched or the feel of fabrics, brushing of hair etc. It could be a form of tactile intolerence.

SpacePuppy Tue 24-Jul-07 13:16:37

more insight into tactile intolerance and eating

beansontoast Tue 24-Jul-07 13:21:29

hi duytan,
speak to your health visitor about it...she could then refer you on to see a speech and language therapist.

SLTs are trained in this area aswell as communication, and help alot of children with cerebral palsy.

she/he can help you to find foods that your d? can safely enjoy,give you tips etc

hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now