Talk

Advanced search

Chaotic start to weaning, can I go back?!

(5 Posts)
Ellsiedodah Sun 06-Jan-19 20:32:43

This feels like... IS... a stupid question, but I'm tired and need some reassurance and guidance from others who've been through weaning. My son has mild eczema all over his body including head and face which seem to be particularly itchy these last couple of days. Would be so grateful for your advice...

I have a 6.5 month old. I wanted to do BLW because I understood that he would just eat what his body told him he could healthily eat, so I wasn't strategic about what I gave him. I never went to a weaning workshop. I then saw he wasn't going for any finger food, so... In the first 3 weeks he's had: butternut squash puree, weetabix made with formula, plain yoghurt, boiled courgette and carrot sticks, some brown bread, a tiny bit of nut-only peanut butter on the end of my finger, baby porridge and blueberries, scrambled egg and hummus (the teeniest amount). He has barely swallowed more than the equivalent of 3 mouthfuls of any of it and is frankly seeming reasonably disinterested (though I admit I need to be more strategic about when I feed him). I stupidly gave him the hummus and egg in the same meal (out at a cafe) and he came up in hives around his mouth, so there's clearly an allergy. Since I gave him peanut (while in hospital when I was in for bloods to be on the safe side) and nothing happened I figure the allergy is egg, which my brother also had when he was young. Anyway, we're waiting for blood test results there.

He's been on a hydrolysed formula since 5 months since I suspected a dairy intolerance and sure enough I think his exzema has become itchier in the last couple of days since I've gone back onto normal formula.

Anyway, long story.. to get to the point... I'm worried with his eczema that I should have been far more careful about introducing food to identify what may or may not be causing flare ups. Do you think I can go back to the beginning? eg return to the hydrolysed formula, see how his skin is for 4 days, then start introducing a new veg, then fruit every 4 days then ??? to see what may or may not affect his skin? Or has the horse bolted as it were? It's worth mentioning that while he's super interested in what I'm putting in my mouth, he's not massively excited either way when introduced to solids so I don't feel he'd notice. We have'nt been doing any fixed meal times or anything so there's no routine to break.

Would be super grateful for any guidance as I feel like my brain has fallen out of my nostrils!! THANK YOU! X

dementedpixie Sun 06-Jan-19 20:34:24

Yes I'd go back to the start and keep a food diary

Almostthere15 Sun 06-Jan-19 20:41:53

I don't think it's a problem to go back to the start and as pp said keep a diary. Is the formula prescribed, if so can you speak to gp/dietician?

TheSheepofWallSt Sun 06-Jan-19 20:47:52

I did new foods one at a time for the first month or so with DS. No intolerances but he projectile vomited for 2 hours the night he had egg for lunch, so we didn’t return to egg (on advice of GP) until he was over 1.

Start fruit, veg, then intro grains, fish, meat etc is the usual way

Peanut butter on its own isn’t recommend As is v claggy and potential choking hazard.

Mammatron Sun 06-Jan-19 20:59:41

Yep I'd go back to the start. Personally I'd stick to veg for the first couple of weeks before introducing fruit- I wanted my ds to enjoy veg before getting anything sweet (3 years later my ds loves greens more than most other foods!!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »