Talk

Advanced search

Ella's Kitchen or Plum Baby?

(19 Posts)
mumroze Thu 28-Jun-07 09:56:45

I see there are 2 new baby food products on the shleves since my first baby: Plum Baby and Ella's Kitchen. Both organic which is great. Which of the 2 products do you / your babies prefer?

Tapster Thu 28-Jun-07 10:04:38

IMO only suitable before 6.5months, well my DD didn't like them after then as didn't fill her up. She liked Ellas kitchen, Plum Baby too runny but she has liked lumps and finger food from the beginning. ellas kitchen very sweet though, only used in emergencies. It says brocolli, pea and pear but its 40% pear at least.

snookie28 Sat 30-Jun-07 14:59:26

Have been using Plum Baby for a while as a supplement to homemade stuff and the flavours are great. They are very pureed with no lumps however and so are not great as they get older.

ALso they are v expensive as £1 a pot. OK at first as dd only ate 1/2 pot a meal but now she would happily have both a savoury and a sweet one for her lunch and £2 per meal is excessive. Good to have in the cupboard though for emergencies or for when you are out the house.

Highlander Sat 30-Jun-07 16:49:30

too runny. Bizarre mixtures

JoshandJamie Sat 30-Jun-07 17:55:54

Have you tried Babylicious? It's not organic but there is no funny stuff added. It's all natural.

As to why it's not organic - and I don't mean to start a debate on here but just thought I'd share some info in case some people didn't know - there are strict guidelines for food aimed at children under 36 months of age. One of the requirements is that there has to be less than 3 parts per billion of pesticide residue in any food. Which means it's virtually intraceable.

So if your reason for buying organic is because of pesticide concerns, please dont be concerned. If it's for other reasons, then crack on. Just thought I'd share the reason why Babylicious isnt organic. Incidentally, it's the same reason why Annabel Karmel's meals aren't organic either (well it's what I've read her saying in the press).

snookie28 Sun 01-Jul-07 20:13:44

oh yes Babyliscious is great. Tastes like proper food not that weird bland stuff in the jars.

Once decanted into a plastic bowl it even looks homemade which is handy when faced with friends who consider readymade food to be the equivalent of baby heroin

Enid Sun 01-Jul-07 20:15:12

neither. tried both and they were both nog.

moodlesoup Sun 26-Aug-07 18:59:11

me too. i ate the plum baby myself as i couldn't believe my DD could hate anything that much, and i was shocked. tasted vile, really processed taste to it. she didn't like ella's kitchen either, but i can't comment as i never tried it!

kitsandbits Sun 26-Aug-07 19:00:57

Make your own!

LittleMissLate Mon 27-Aug-07 21:43:34

Wouldn't use either on a regular basis but the Ella's Kitchen are great when out as you can squeeze it directly onto a spoon and just screw the top back on the pouch when finished to have later. No mess grin. They have a lot of fruit in as a proportion of the ingredients which is perhaps why dd likes them!

sleepycat Mon 27-Aug-07 21:49:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Piffle Mon 27-Aug-07 21:52:02

ella house pear broccoli and pea is 79% pear!
I only use them to see what mine like then make my own, the taste is always so different

foxcub Mon 27-Aug-07 21:59:25

Haven't tried Ella but my baby (25 weks old) adors the Plum food and so do I - it tastes wonderful. Downside is that it is runny, but I thicken it with baby rice.

Twinklemegan Mon 27-Aug-07 21:59:52

Twinkle's Kitchen was all that was on offer here. Went down pretty well. grin

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Mon 27-Aug-07 22:11:35

I mostly cook for DS but in those earlier days, for out and about Plum baby was just fab!

It is a bit runny but its been a God send on those teething days - even now when DS is 15 mths and his mouth is too sore to chew and he wants something soft - he will eat that no trouble and its got quinoa in it which is a protein so I feel happy he's getting some protein!

camgirl Thu 30-Aug-07 20:38:02

I cook mostly but use both Plum and Ella's when out and about. Plum do a 7 month+ range that's lumpier and contains meat and cheese. There are only 3 varieties as of now but it's fine to use for supplementing home-cooked food. And personally, my son loves the combinations. They may sound weird, but they actually taste quite good and are much more interesting than the usual jars of pap.

CountTo10 Thu 30-Aug-07 20:48:42

Of all the commercial baby foods, I've only ever recommended the babylicious/kiddylicious ranges as they seem to be the only ranges made as if you were making them yourself. Most of ds's food was home cooked when he was weaning but when I needed readymade, they were the only ones he'd eat.

gillhowe Tue 04-Sep-07 19:19:20

A couple of the plum babies I tried tasted horrible (the one with guava in it and the squash and sweet potato) but the others seemed fine. I use the basil and spinich one as a basis for pasta sauce now (I put some cheese and maybe some cream in as well).

DS likes babylicious. I put other things in it now to give it texture, again it seems to work as a sauce for pasta or potato quite well.

Elibean Wed 05-Sep-07 22:28:25

My dd will not eat from a spoon, and Ella's kitchen was recommended to me by HV as alternative way of getting some food into her whilst starting off BLW (before she could handle finger foods - she has swallowing issues) and for travelling purposes. Tastes nice, to me, so I gave her some - she loved it, but got bored very fast when she couldn't feed herself with it.

Tried the other brands, but didnt' like them myself - and couldn't feed them to dd as they require a spoon, anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now