Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to use formula milk?

(8 Posts)
ChristmasPud Mon 25-Jun-07 12:01:06

Have started weaning DS (6 months) and am breastfeeding and intend to do so for some time to come. However I am useless at expressing so can't really get enough milk to use for his porrage, put in mashed potato etc. Do I really need to get formula for this? I know it's o.k. to use cows milk for cooking at this age but am concerned at how much of this he may be having a day e.g. in cereal at breakfast and then in yogurt or some mashed veg at teatime.

Am taking a compromise approach re: format of the food giving lumpy mash and finger foods so am neither a BLWer or a puree queen. Just going with what the little fella likes. Offering some of each at each 'meal'. So using some milk to make up mash is useful.

PandaG Mon 25-Jun-07 12:03:05

full fat in food will be fine. you are bfing so his main drink is bmilk, so cows in food is perfectly ok.

witchandchips Mon 25-Jun-07 12:03:57

6 months is fine to use cows milk in cooking
issue is that he is still needs a few good feeds from you as well

witchandchips Mon 25-Jun-07 12:05:32

btw i used expressed milk to make things like cauliflower cheese and fish pie
A WASTE OF TIME, would not do it again

terramum Mon 25-Jun-07 13:47:36

If you are worried about using milk then water is fine for things like porridge or mashed pots. DS started having cereal with just water & then gradually we changed to milk after he was 1...although we still have porridge with half water & half milk - seems to taste just as good & is a little cheaper

Defo no need for forumla!

warthog Mon 25-Jun-07 14:19:49

no, i used full fat milk, but was worried about her sleeping probs so switched to goats milk. don't worry about expressing.

wulfricsmummy Mon 25-Jun-07 14:35:17

Message withdrawn

ChristmasPud Tue 26-Jun-07 14:08:37

Thanks for getting rid of one of my weaning worries.

It's not as much fun as it seems before you start is it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now