Advanced search

A good time to introduce meat...

(6 Posts)
pops79 Sat 23-Jun-07 12:53:27

My DS is nearly seven months and he has been doing really well with solids so far....a bit of fruit and veg every day plus the odd suck and chomp on a rice cake or brown bread crust

I am now thinking that perhaps it is time to try some more substantial ingredients such as meat. I am a vegetarian so I was planning to buy some of the baby jars with meat in to ensure that he gets some meat in his diet.

Is he old enough now? Everything has been going so well, that I do not want to risk upsetting him...(He started on solids at 5 months).

Any advice??

QueenofBleach Sat 23-Jun-07 13:13:28

We were told after 6 months, like you got to 5 months, and then weaned, are you against cooking meat out of curiosity.

Jojay Sat 23-Jun-07 13:14:54

I would say he's fine. My DS is 7 months and started solids a week before he was 6 months. I introduced meat about 3 weeks into solids and he's been absolutely fine - in fact he loves it!!

pops79 Sat 23-Jun-07 13:39:15

thanks for the tips..i think i'll try a little white meat easier to digest than red? Or doesn't it matter?

I'm not against cooking meat..although I'm not too keen. The most important thing is that I want him to eat I just think the jars are easier.

Jojay Sat 23-Jun-07 20:17:37

I started with chicken, but I don't know why really - just tastes a bit milder than red meat I suppose.

He's since had beef, lamb and fish though

LittleMissLate Sat 23-Jun-07 22:00:56

I'm vegetarian but have been giving 6.5m old dd white fish occasionally in last 2 weeks and my mother has given her chicken for the first time this week (and cooked a batch to go in my freezer!). As an alternative to jars I have heard of frozen baby food (various varieties including meat and fish dishes) from a company called babylicious - don't know what they are like yet but am planning to look out for them to keep dd's diet more varied without me having to cook meat (would cook if I had to but don't really have any idea about cooking meat...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now