Talk

Advanced search

now this weill set he catamongst the pigeons - WHOS advice is wrong to breastfeed for 6 motnths

(153 Posts)
Dogsby Thu 21-Jun-07 08:23:28

as is based on developing coutnires

har har har

Dogsby Thu 21-Jun-07 08:24:39

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/fami lies/article1961406.ece

nice pic

fillyjonk Thu 21-Jun-07 08:24:51

eh?

have you got a link for that?

eg "bf babies in hit and run drug crime shock"?

Dogsby Thu 21-Jun-07 08:25:06

The Government recently brought its advice about the age at which babies should start on solids in line with that of the WorldHealth Organisation (WHO), and it nowrecommends that parents introduce solids at about six months. Dr Gillian Harris, a clinical psychologist at Birmingham Children’s Hospital who also lectures at Birmingham University, says that such guidelines “are based on no scientific evidence whatsoever”. She claims that they are derived from WHO studies in developing countries and are simply not applicable in the UK.

“We have bigger babies who are growing much faster,” she says. “I don’t know a single health professional in this country who agrees with the DoH suggestion that mothers should breast-feed exclusively for six months, and research shows that only 2 per cent of women manage it.” She adds that “there is no reasoning in terms of allergy prevention and no reasoning in terms of health”.

Dogsby Thu 21-Jun-07 08:25:27

so for all you lot who berated health visitors................ adn we who weaned at 1 day

berolina Thu 21-Jun-07 08:25:30

the only for developing countries thing is a myth I thought?

Dogsby Thu 21-Jun-07 08:26:17

"Increasingly, experts are voicing their concerns that parents in the West are mistaking nutritional guidelines for a regimented process. In other countries a more freewheeling approach is used to start babies on flavourful fare: meat is given to babies in African countries, while the Japanese give them fish and radishes and the French think nothing of weaning on tomatoes and artichokes. Dr David Bergman, a Stanford University paediatrics professor who has been studying the issue, says that spices, for instance, are ignored by many guidelines, with parents simply advised not to introduce them to the diet until children are older. But that viewpoint is cultural, not scientific, he says, and from six months children can handle pretty much anything, including hot food.

“There’s a bunch of mythology about baby and infant feeding,” Dr Bergman says. “There’s not much evidence to support any particular way of doing things
"

Curmudgeonlett Thu 21-Jun-07 08:27:16

she's a clinical PSYCHOLOGIST

and her field of expertise is.....

\\\\////

fillyjonk Thu 21-Jun-07 08:27:32

rofl

its anti bfding but...PRO BLW

am hoping for a thread of tirades intersparsed with non sequiter personal anecdotes

Dogsby Thu 21-Jun-07 08:28:02

"well i breastefed to...."

oh yes.

berolina Thu 21-Jun-07 08:28:39

Oh, I didn't spot the psychologist bit.

Dogsby Thu 21-Jun-07 08:29:03

eeven as a pyscohologist i think she knows more thn most of us

fillyjonk Thu 21-Jun-07 08:29:40

god i need to get off puter, things to do, pompoms to make, aaargh

actually the who stuff is based on studies, I read a bunch of them when pg with ds when I had oooh free time. so she IS talking bllx

Dogsby Thu 21-Jun-07 08:30:35

no she aint

go gill
<puts spoon away> ad head to gym

Dogsby Thu 21-Jun-07 08:33:02

"Dr Gillian Harris
Consultant Clinical Psychologist, Senior Lecturer in Developmental Psychology

Gillian Harris PhD., MSc., CPsychol, AFBPsS is a Senior Lecturer at the School of Psychology, University of Birmingham, and a Consultant Clinical Psychologist at Birmingham Children's Hospital. She runs an internationally renowned feeding clinic for children with food refusal and failure to thrive, and has developed an impressive research profile in various areas of infant, child and adolescent feeding. Dr Harris has a special interest in the determinants of food fussiness in children and adolescents, particularly the feeding problems seen in children with Aspergers syndrome and autism. Her other research interests include infant and child feeding and appetite regulation, childhood eating disorders, child abuse and attachment. "

Nightynight Thu 21-Jun-07 08:39:40

yessssssssss

fillyjonk Thu 21-Jun-07 08:39:44

yes she is

so

NotQuiteCockney Thu 21-Jun-07 08:41:01

Maybe she also has a research interest in causing bunfights?

Nightynight Thu 21-Jun-07 08:42:02

well I would like to have seen if ANYONE could have got ds2 to 6 months on breastmilk alone...impossible, it was. this woman is right.

fillyjonk Thu 21-Jun-07 08:42:13

maybe she recieves funding from thge makers of weaning spoons?

Nightynight Thu 21-Jun-07 08:44:55

maybe people dictating only breastmilk to 6 months have never breastfed a giant baby for 6 months??

fillyjonk Thu 21-Jun-07 08:48:07

oh dear this is NOT kicking off, not at all

could it be that noone gives a crap what some psychologist thinks about bfding?

Dogsby Thu 21-Jun-07 08:49:06

god peopel arent " DOing WHat "They Think IS BEst"

are they
are htey thinking for themslevs??

<shriek!!>

fluffyanimal Thu 21-Jun-07 08:49:43

"do not allow your baby to feed himself soft foods with a spoon."

WTF????? Why ever not? Cos after all, adults never eat yogurt do they! ????!!!!????

FrannyandZooey Thu 21-Jun-07 08:49:59

Ah cod I am surprised to see this was your thread...I thought you always claimed NOT TO CARE how anyone fed their babies and to be amazed at those of us who did?

Perhaps you do care, just a teensy weensy little bit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now