Talk

Advanced search

Early Weaning - HELP!

(34 Posts)
Danielle09 Tue 19-Jun-18 10:51:12

Hey everyone,

I have a 15 week old little boy who my partner and I have decided we would like to begin early weaning. We are both totally new to the whole world of parenting and we both haven't really been around babies to learn this ourselves.

We've done more research in the past couple days then we both could have done but together in our school days about weaning but I still feel nervous about weaning my baby.

I was hoping for any hints or tips from yourselves that could maybe help me learn abit more about when and how to feed our little boy his solid foods. We decided to buy some cow and gate jars to see what his favourite tastes are but we aren't sure when to let him try this before,during or after his bottles?

I tried to speak to my health visitor about this but because he's only 15 weeks old we were advised to weight, I feel I know my baby is ready.

Would appreciate any help or advice.

BurpeesAreTheWorkOfTheDevil Tue 19-Jun-18 10:54:19

The best advice anyone can give you is don't,

Sorry, baby far too young and becoming a parent doesn't mean you suddenly have qualifications in child health and nutrition (i do)

Danielle09 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:01:20

I understand he is at a young age, I have friends who have began weaning their baby at his age also which is why we began thinking about it. I would have asked them but feeling they may think I don't know what I'm doing made me anxious. I've never once thought I had any qualifications in parenting as I explained I'm totally new to this (Hence why I turned to this site) My family and friends have all mentioned beginning to wean my little boy so only thought we would ask.

MagicFajita Tue 19-Jun-18 11:04:47

How do you know he is ready?

Danielle09 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:13:09

He is on the correct amount of milk for his age and weight yet still drains his bottles and screams for more, he never goes a full 3 hours before his next bottle and kinda always seems hungry. He may only be 15 weeks but he is a developing a lot these past few weeks, He holds himself up, he's very alert, yes he is teething at the minute so everything he holds goes in his mouth but we tried him with a rusk and he absolutely loved it and wanted more.

He may not be ready, Its my gut instinct that he is which is why we want to try it.

MagicFajita Tue 19-Jun-18 11:21:43

Your baby , your choice etc but those are not signs of readiness op.

Try offering more milk , the correct amount for his age is very much down his needs , not what it says on a tin/box.

Also what is this obsession with spacing out a baby's feeds? He wants milk for thirst , not just hunger , especially in warmer weather. Feed him on demand.

And regarding the rusk , please don't wean him on sugary rubbish!

piglet81 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:23:55

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/solid-foods-weaning/

Lots of info here - do read it. Weaning isn't recommended until about 6 months. If you do start a bit earlier then baby should only be having things like puréed carrot. If he's hungry, give him more milk - filling up on puréed vegetables isn't going to satisfy him and could mean he's not getting enough calories from milk.

(Rusks are really sugary, btw. Have you tasted them?)

Stonecirclegal Tue 19-Jun-18 11:31:22

Weaning at 15 weeks shockshock

Danielle09 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:33:00

I don't go off what the tin/box says, I went off what i'm advised to give him off the professionals and when to give him it.

From him being two weeks old he was draining his bottles and the health visitors advised us just to up his milk every time he was doing so. By 5 weeks he was on 6oz of milk and ended up in hospital quite ill. (And that is off professionals advice as we asked them before we done it to make sure it was ok) so sorry if I'm a bit sceptic about being 100% sure on their advice now.

We do feed him on demand but all we have had drilled into our heads is his feeds are every 3 hours (ish). we give him water in between so he is well hydrated all the time.

I'm starting to feel I'm not doing anything right with feeding/weaning him now.

FoofFighter Tue 19-Jun-18 11:34:52

Babies do not need water unless it's a heatwave. Stick with milk and feed on demand.

ShowOfHands Tue 19-Jun-18 11:37:54

You know they are ready when they can sit up with support, pick up food, put it in their mouth, chew and swallow.

Weaning isn't about hunger, milk is a perfect diet and the bulk of his calories will come from milk for another 8 months.

If he's hungry, give milk.

Tired12345 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:38:12

Just don't do it - his gut is to young to cope with food. It has the potential to do damage - that is why your health visitor won't talk to you about. Just give more milk for another couple of months until he shows the signs the NHS describe.

MagicFajita Tue 19-Jun-18 11:38:20

What was said at the hospital op?

Doje Tue 19-Jun-18 11:38:24

He's still so little. If he's hungry, increase his milk. He'll be much harder to fill up with purees at this stage anyway.

There's really no rush OP. And weaning is hard work, especially doing purees!

anotherangel2 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:40:02

He does not need water.

He should not be draining a bottle. If he does it means he is still hungry and he should be given more milk straight away. Feeding on demand means you feeding him when he shows hunger cues. For my DD this was normally on waking. Feeding in demands also he takes the amount of milk he needs so he stops drinking when he has had enough.

If at 15 weeks he is still hungry this means he needs more milk. Wanting milk every three hours ish at 15 weeks is normal. Some days he may even want to feed more regularly this just means he needs more milk.

dinosaurkisses Tue 19-Jun-18 11:40:27

I sympathise with you OP, but please listen to the previous posters.

At 15 weeks, babies don’t need solids- they need milk. Breast milk or formula contains all the nutrients that a child that age need.

Milk is much more calorific than puréed veg etc, so introducing solids this early will mean he’s filling up on food which isn’t actually keeping him as full as long as milk would.

Have you tried increasing the amount he’s taking at each feed?

anotherangel2 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:41:28

Why did he end up in hospital? What was the problem?

NukaColaGirl Tue 19-Jun-18 11:43:40

Are you fucking real ?

Water between feeds and weaning at 15 weeks?

Who’s advice are you following exactly? Because it’s piss poor.

Give him more milk. As much as he wants, when he wants. No feeding every 3 hours. No water. No solids.

I fucking despair.

QueenAravisOfArchenland Tue 19-Jun-18 11:44:17

The very, very earliest it's advised to give solids is 17 weeks. And that's generally only advisable for premature babies or babies with reflux who have specific needs. And you've already given solids, and crappy sugary ones at that. You run the risk of damaging his digestive system permanently.

If he's having "too much" milk, and gaining weight too fast as discussed with your HV or GP, do paced bottle feeding and make a plan with them. If he's genuinely hungry, he needs milk, not low-grade low-calorie mush. Babies who were weaned at 8 weeks in the past were not "all OK". They just didn't die from it, but oddly enough, my ambitions for my child's health go beyond not killing him.

catsofa Tue 19-Jun-18 11:45:46

It's too early to wean him, wait until he's at least 6 months, as per literally ALL reliable advice.

mustbemad17 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:46:25

I'm intrigued by the fact you so readily took professional advice about how much formula he 'should' be getting & when, yet you are blatantly ignoring their advice on weaning. Why is that?
He isn't even 4 months old yet - 4 months was the absolute earliest that used to be recommended for weaning!! You will open him up to a world of problems including gut issues if you wean too early. Your huge amount of research should have told you this. Just because your friends are doing it doesn't make it right...would you throw your baby off a cliff if they decided to do so???

Danielle09 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:48:00

This is why i asked for help, Every bit of information we gets contradicts.

He ended up in hospital because his stomach couldn't take the amount of milk we were being told t give him. I knew something wasn't right when he was projectile vomiting, his temperature was sky high but by this point it was too late, Our son was seriously ill and we felt like we were the worst parents in the world.

Since then i've always gone off what other mums say and how they done things with their babies, I have two best friends who have babies a week to two weeks older then mine and they both are weaning their babies.

I just thought id as first was I'm the biggest of worriers. We cant give him any more milk then what we are told by the health visitors as he is at risk of going back into hospital because of the damage he may have done earlier weeks. We added the rusk to his milk after a family member told us it may make him feel a little bit fuller and not need to scream for more milk.

I've never been so confused at what to do.

KeefBurtain Tue 19-Jun-18 11:49:27

I started my ds on solids at 17 weeks under advice from dr due to reflux.

I started with a few spoons of puréed fruits and veg such as apple, sweet potato, carrots, pears.

He was bf on demand and I spoonfed him at lunchtime, added in breakfast at 21 weeks and by 26 weeks he was eating 3 times a day.

He’s now 12 months and eats everything and anything. Loves using a fork to spear his food.

I wouldn’t advise using jar food yet. You need to keep to one thing at a time in case of allergies it will be easier to identify.

NukaColaGirl Tue 19-Jun-18 11:50:32

RUSK in the bottle shock That’s a serious choking hazard. Babies die very easily from choking. Stop that immediately !

mustbemad17 Tue 19-Jun-18 11:51:01

So if he cannot handle the milk & was seriously ill you will have spoken to a paediatrician who would have given you solid advice on the next steps. If his stomach can't handle the milk why on earth do you think it will tolerate solids?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: