Talk

Advanced search

Wilful baby :-(

(4 Posts)
Cookiee42 Tue 20-Feb-18 14:01:01

My DS is 8.5 months. We had a couple of setbacks with weaning following some bugs so I expect him to be a little behind. He also has a mild tongue-tie, which resulted in bottle-feeding because he couldn’t get a proper latch and it was causing too much stress for us. I don’t think it’s really affecting him now though.

DS is an enthusiastic gummer. Anything he can put in his mouth, he will. Finger foods are working well in terms of him trying flavours as he enjoys pretty much anything like this. Problem is he swallows very little of it.

He loves fruit purée and will happily eat a jar in one sitting. He also loves wheatabix and from age frais. He won’t eat anything else, though. I want him to be getting some nutritional benefits from his food. I generally give him something to chew on while we’re eating, and try to spoon feed him when it’s quieter.

I don’t expect him to be having 3 course meals, but I don’t know how to get him to even try the baby food. He’ll eagerly have a spoonful, and if it’s not fruit he’ll spit it out and refuse to open his mouth again if I’ve got a spoon in my hand. I don’t mind him spitting it out, I just want to get it in there to begin with!

Aprilshowerswontbelong Tue 20-Feb-18 14:05:40

Baby food is pointless imo. Just put some bits of whatever you are having on his tray, for afters some banana slices, sharing mealtimes with you at his age is the best for him joining in! You stressing and feeling flustered will rub off.

NannyR Tue 20-Feb-18 14:08:40

I would hold off on the spoon feeding and keep offering finger foods. He will be swallowing tiny amounts and with practice he'll get much better at feeding himself. At this stage you want to be encouraging him to enjoy exploring different tastes and textures, the majority of his nutrition will still come from his milk.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 21-Feb-18 08:37:21

What do you do if he refuses something Cookiee?

Agree with the PPs. It may seem that he’s only swallowing tiny amounts but he will probably be swallowing more than you think and with practice it will become more.

According to the NHS website they suggest that babies move to eating solids 3 times a day between 8 and 9 months so try not to stress too much, he’s only just at that age now smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: