Talk

Advanced search

One year old with aversion to solid food

(3 Posts)
NicR23 Thu 08-Feb-18 17:10:07

Hello,

I have a little boy who is about to turn one and has an eating aversion.

We tried to wean onto solids at six months but he wasn’t interested. Point blank refused a spoon. After a few weeks I started BLW as he was happy to pick up and chew finger food. Unfortunately he seems to have a very sensitive gag reflex and gagged/vomited anytime anything went towards the back of his mouth. The result being he never swallowed any food. After a few months of trying this way he then stopped even trying finger food.

He was EBF until he was 6 months, we had a huge struggle getting him on to bottles, but did eventually manage about 10 months.

We've had one meeting with a Speech and Language therapist who confirmed he had a food aversion, and is coming for follow meeting next week.

He’s gone from 91st centile at birth to 25th centile now 😞

Although the food and weight issues are concerning my real worry now is that he’s behind meeting his milestones. He rolled over early, but since then has been slow to meet milestones. He’s only really now sitting well. He can stand if I prop lift him against coffee table etc but doesn’t really pull himself up. He does climb over soft play blocks etc. No cruising. He doesn’t crawl properly but does camando shuffle type thing. He’s not babbling.

So what i’m trying to figure out is are his milestones delayed because he’s not eating and losing weight. Or are the delayed milestones and eating aversion all part of a bigger issue.

Any advice appreciated 🙂

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 11-Feb-18 11:15:22

I think you need to go to the GP and ask for a referral to a Paed. They will be able to answer these questions for you thanks

Lunalovepud Sun 11-Feb-18 14:41:47

My DC was like this and it turned out that he had silent reflux and wouldn't eat solids because he associated it with pain. I'd tried everything over 6 months and nothing... 3 days of omeprazole and he was on two meals a day. Breakfast took longer. Might be worth discussing with your GP? Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: