Talk

Advanced search

How quick to 3 meals a day?

(7 Posts)
soontobeamum1982 Mon 05-Feb-18 17:23:54

I have just started weaning my 6 month old with a mixture of purees and finger food. She's keen, but I'm not sure that much is going down - a lot is spat out, thrown and fiddled with etc. So far so normal. At the moment i'm just doing veggies for lunch but I know I'm supposed to move quickly to get all the food groups in. How quickly should I introduce a second and third meal a day? After one week? Or slower? Thanks!

mindutopia Wed 07-Feb-18 11:11:42

I did only one meal a day for a month. So started at 6 months with lunch. We added in breakfast at 7 months and then dinner most nights (but not always every night) by 7.5 months. So a month and a half from starting weaning to 3 meals a day. There really is no rush and I'd just wait a bit. Otherwise, it's a lot of work for little benefit as they don't each much the first month or two anyway usually. I'd focus on adding in a wider variety of foods for the meal you're doing including finger foods and then add in another meal when she seems to be taking to it and eating more. It's more work rather than less when they start eating more solids, so I'd take your time for now if you can.

Hobbitch Thu 08-Feb-18 21:39:51

My daughter is 6.5 months too. For the first week we gave her 2 meals then moved on to 3 meals the following week! She was so bored and desperate to join in, she was clearly ready. We do baby-led weaning and just put 3 or 4 bits of food on her tray and let her get on with it. So far she loves most things we've given her!

GrumpyOldBagFace Thu 08-Feb-18 22:07:54

1st child was on three meals a day after about two weeks. He'd always hated milk.

2nd child took about 4 months to get used to the idea of eating food.

DistractedByIrrelevance Thu 08-Feb-18 22:12:07

I wouldn’t stress over it, just go with the child. My first wasn’t interested in food for a long time but I’m weaning again now and this one can’t get enough. He is having 2 meals plus finger food after only a couple of weeks.

user1493413286 Thu 08-Feb-18 22:16:59

I introduced the second meal after about 2 weeks then the third one another two weeks later but my DD took to weaning very well and has been a good eater so I might have gone slower if she wasn’t eating so well and I seem to have gone quicker than other mums I know.

Orangedaisy Thu 08-Feb-18 22:23:09

We did 3 meals from the start (6 months) with DD2 - DD1 was eating anyway so just pinched a bit of hers and tried it on the baby. She has only just started actually eating lunch (now nearly 12 months) but it didn't do any harm trying I don't think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: