Talk

Advanced search

Ready Brek

(16 Posts)
tealandteal Sun 04-Feb-18 21:10:47

I have seen a few times on different threads that Ready Brek has high salt. I thought it was just oats? I currently give DS (6m) some baby porridge, and also more blw finger food to try. I have Ready Brek for breakfast, does anyone know if he can actually have it too?

restingbemusedface Sun 04-Feb-18 21:12:43

Can you just do normal oats and a bit of milk? That way you know your baby isn’t getting any nasty extras. I remember years ago there was a horror story about a baby and ready break, and although I’m sure it’s not as high in salt anymore, surely it’s best to give something unprocessed?

BroccoliOnTheFloor Sun 04-Feb-18 21:31:02

Normal oats are just oats, if your baby is very fussy about the texture, you can shove it in the food processor to smoothen it.

tealandteal Sun 04-Feb-18 21:39:23

I thought Ready Brek was just ground up oats? I am just confused how it could have a high salt content if nothing is added. Surely it has the same salt content as oats then? I think by the time he finishes this box of baby porridge he will be ready for the lumpier texture anyway so will give him normal porridge but now I'm wondering if I should get a new breakfast. (I don't like the texture of porridge 😂)

Wigeon Sun 04-Feb-18 21:42:36

Ready Brek doesn’t have salt added, just various vitamins: www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/ready-brek-original-450g?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=d0gX3XEbai69mH1soYkh8wD7GFTIfoqegwWN4DVrafm03cvd7TFlLUQIGzR%2BkAZi1KMJMRu3hmpJBMke4An4JVfjq6%2Ft8N0Ww2Tc%2FM25NKsHUAHhLqshw9rj5NVN%2FJq0BK9Dtwbo3yqkUEOs1DowpHaROGQzxHgIzDolVQT606w%3D&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fready-brek-original-450g

Wigeon Sun 04-Feb-18 21:43:25

Maybe people are thinking of the various flavoured ones (eg golden syrup, chocolate etc), which might have added salt?

FartnissEverbeans Mon 05-Feb-18 16:59:28

Ready Brek is fine. Mumsnet is paranoid.

April45 Tue 20-Feb-18 06:40:18

Just look at the packet.. the link above shows it has very little salt.

Amatree Tue 20-Feb-18 06:42:21

My DS has had ready brek for months, we went for it because of texture and checked carefully on the packet. The unflavoured one is just ground up oats with some extra vitamins and minerals. Don't touch the flavoured ones though!

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 20-Feb-18 06:43:39

Ready Brek used to have a high salt content. They stopped adding salt after it was mentioned in the death of a baby from excess salt.

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/salt-in-food-led-to-baby-death-1108931.html%3famp

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 20-Feb-18 09:03:48

It’s absolutely fine. Mine used to like it with chopped banana or berries added.

dementedpixie Thu 01-Mar-18 16:42:04

That article wasn't correct either. It has never had added salt. The baby in the article was being fed smash and gravy at 3 months old and that's what caused the death related to salt levels

dementedpixie Thu 01-Mar-18 16:47:25

Found this online:

Weetabix is seeking legal advice following an inquest into the death of a baby from salt poisoning who was fed a diet of “adult food” including mashed-up Ready Brek instant porridge with baby milk.

The inquest held in Doncaster on Monday heard that the three-month-old boy suffered a fit and lapsed into coma. He died five days later and was found to have high levels of salt in his blood and urine.

A spokeswoman for Weetabix says: “If the reports in the daily newspapers are accurate it would seem that the coroner made some misleading comments implying that the salt content of Ready Brek was high. Ready Brek does not contain salt, nor do we add any. We are seeking legal advice.”

At the inquest the Doncaster coroner, Stanley Hooper, was reported to have said: “The baby was fed with adult food, in particular Ready Brek. The adult food contains salt. I conclude ingestion of salt caused premature death of this baby.”

TittyGolightly Thu 01-Mar-18 16:56:48

The more processed oats are the faster the sugar Hits your blood stream. I wouldn’t eat it, nor would I feed it to a child.

Ebony12 Fri 02-Mar-18 21:36:53

What a terribly sad story. I make everything fresh and avoid all those cereals. Natural porridge oats by Holle baby foods are great only 2 ingredients on their list.

NerrSnerr Fri 02-Mar-18 21:55:25

As PP have said, Ready Brek has very little salt in it. It’s scary how one misinterpretation can cause so many people to believe that it contributed to this tragedy and many years later people are still repeating it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: