Talk

Advanced search

Toddler high chair help

(13 Posts)
SadLampshade Sun 04-Feb-18 19:59:12

Hello all,
Currently, 18 month old is in a Mamas and Papas Pesto high chair. It’s been great, but it’s really bulky. It has its own tray, that pulls off/slides on, but even when it’s off, it’s still too big to pull up to the table properly.
Can anyone recommend a next step? I’m wondering about a booster type set up, strapped to a existing dining chair?

TIA

slowsloth Sun 04-Feb-18 20:08:29

We used one of the very inexpensive Ikea high chairs after finding the expensive one we bought almost impossible to keep clean. You can buy it without the tray so dd just sat at the table with us. When she got too big for that she just moved onto a normal chair. We've never used our booster seat blush

DrRanjsRightEyebrow Sun 04-Feb-18 20:09:07

Ikea high chair every time.

Reden89 Sun 04-Feb-18 20:10:33

Aldi have got this at the moment, thinking of getting it for my 2 year old too...

www.aldi.co.uk/hauck-wooden-high-chair/p/065051106729200

SadLampshade Sun 04-Feb-18 21:18:55

Thanks all, was thinking I might get away with a booster seat, to free up space, but am guessing people’s feelings are it’s best to stick with a high chair type? Unfortunately, not near an Ikea, although I know the type you mean.

Noloudnoises Sun 04-Feb-18 21:21:13

Definitely Ikea, with or without tray. And there are always lots on Facebook marketplace so you could pick one up cheap.

bonzo77 Sun 04-Feb-18 21:36:59

The Ikea one will go right up to your table but not tuck under. Even with the tray off. And my kids were a bit big for it by 2ish. But even for 6 months it’s a fab high chair and cheap (they often go cheap or free second hand). We’ve moved on to a hauck wooden chair, like to Stokke trip trapp but cheeap. With a harness from mother care to stop Houdini escaping to wipe his face on the curtains.

TiggeryBear Sun 04-Feb-18 21:45:20

We had a lovely (well I love it) east coast high chair that converts into a small chair & table but DD used to climb out of the chair when as the high chair (even with the straps on!!!) So we stopped using that shortly after her 1st birthday (she's now almost 2) & we use a strap on booster. It's probably the most used bit of "kid-kit" we've bought. I take one in the boot with me if I know we're going out to eat as she's not quite able to eat nicely when she's sat low down to the table.

Munchkin Travel Booster Seat www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M6XGKV1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_c33DAbMHP8E2E?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Girlwhowearsglasses Sun 04-Feb-18 21:48:38

Hi OP
I have three kids who are now 11, 9, and 9.

Tripp Trapp chairs all the way. They are STILL using them. Footprint the same as a normal chair - but (and DS1 has ADHD so he is a super-tester) they don’t rock or slide across the floor. Now they are using them as normal chair height they are still better than standard chairs because of this. They look good too. Great investment

ChishandFips33 Sun 04-Feb-18 21:54:23

Stokke Tripp Trapp and IKEA cheapy here too

GummyGoddess Sun 04-Feb-18 21:57:05

We got rid of our highchair a couple of months ago and got a mamas and papas baby bud booster. It's been so much better than the highchair! DC (16m) doesn't fuss and actually wants to go into it and he enjoys eating with us at the table. DC2 is on the way and will be using a booster instead of a highchair once they need to start weaning.

SadLampshade Sat 10-Feb-18 19:53:28

Thanks all, will persevere with the high chair for a few more months, I think, then move to a booster type. Like the look of the stokke but out of my price range. smile

Snowydaysarehere Sat 10-Feb-18 19:57:22

I got the Aldi one off ebay for a tenner!! Fabulous at the table!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now