Talk

Advanced search

Your best BLW/finger food recipes please!

(9 Posts)
MakeMineAStrongOne Thu 11-Jan-18 09:30:36

My 8.5 month old DD has gone from enthusiastically devouring almost everything we put in front of her to refusing the spoon no matter what is on it. I knew it was all going too smoothly!

After a succession of very frustrating meals in which I've offered a string of foods, almost all of which have been refused, I think I'm going to have to up my finger food game. At the moment she loves mango slices, peach slices, pitta bread with butter/ cashew butter, eggy bread....

Any other top tips? What worked with your babies? Especially anything that gets them eating protein- fish, meat etc?

Thanks in advance.

Youresovain Thu 11-Jan-18 13:54:08

My baby is going through exactly the same stage.
The only thing he will eat from a spoon is yoghurt or his porridge!
He is enjoying cream cheese on wholemeal toast, the middle of tomato cut into slices, cucumber in strips with no skin, blueberries halved, very ripe banana halved he just bites chunks off. Scrambled egg with butter I cook it so it's in bigger chunks for him to grab. Well cooked pasta tubes, grated cheese, peas and sweetcorn. Protein is hard because I don't know how he would gum down meat but he does well with egg, cheeses, yoghurt. I've been thinking of making a cheese sauce with tuna in quite thick then covering his pasta and chunks of sweet pot etc. Maybe white fish flaked but I would worry about bones hmm

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 11-Jan-18 13:59:25

Seems like a long time ago but it isn’t really (Ds is 2 and a quarter now) - but he loved things like eggy bread, chicken drumsticks (be careful with the hard cartilage bit on the ends), chicken thigh meat (I found it crumbled less and stayed in fingers better than breast meat), big potato wedges or sweet potato wedges and dips, whole carrots or parsnips cooked very lightly so they are easy to hold and gnaw. I also used to make a sort of Yorkshire pudding batter mix with lots of veg, peas, sweet corn etc all cooked in it and cut into fingers (make a big one in a cake tin rather than individual ones). We all still eat it now!

FartnissEverbeans Thu 11-Jan-18 19:05:19

Not a recipe - but fish fingers grin

I made meatballs with veg through, pork and apple sausage patties and sausage rolls. They're all really easy - just mince, some spices and a few breadcrumbs smoothed together for the patties and meatballs, and some puff pastry for the sausage rolls.

Savoury muffins with veg and cheese went down well. I made sweet ones too with fruit and cut out most of the sugar (now DS is bigger I replace it with honey). Pancakes are good and you can add purées to the mixture.

FartnissEverbeans Thu 11-Jan-18 19:07:38

I also used to make a sort of Yorkshire pudding batter mix with lots of veg, peas, sweet corn etc all cooked in it and cut into fingers (make a big one in a cake tin rather than individual ones).

This sounds great! I'm going to try it and hopefully get some veg into DS.

Reminds me of sheet pancakes - just pancake batter baked in the oven in a baking tray then cut into slices. Add toppings like fruit etc before you cook. Much quicker than making loads of pancakes

MakeMineAStrongOne Thu 11-Jan-18 19:43:16

Thanks all! Some really nice ideas. Will be trying them. Just spent 20 minutes wiping pasta off the walls...

Dermymc Thu 11-Jan-18 22:05:03

Useful thread this!

I've done sweet potato, also little sandwiches.

I made some flapjack bars with whizzed up dried fruit, coconut, oats, butter and a splash of juice to bind it. Then baked for a 20 mins and cut up into strips.

Also thick food like mash give a bowl and spoon.

April45 Sat 13-Jan-18 05:02:26

Try the baby led weaning app well worth the money loads of good ideas that a relatively easy. My little lunchbox is also a good website for blw

Some of DS favourites:
Pasta twists with tom and veg sauce (I put all sorts in the sauce to he gets more veg)
Little sandwiches (on slightly dry bread - easier to chew)
Cheese on toast
Omelette
Little muffins
Banana and oat cookies (really simple)
Any soft fruit like melon, raspberries, pears

NachoFries Sat 13-Jan-18 05:49:00

Would love to have the recipe for savory muffins with veg and cheese smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: