Advanced search

baby allergic to egg and dairy - ideas?

(18 Posts)
StephB2017 Mon 04-Dec-17 15:19:25

Hi all!

Just discovered my 10 month old son is allergic to egg as well as dairy sad Does anyone have any ideas for dairy free recipes? I love Annabel Karmel but lots of her recipes have cheese and milk in them sad Has anyone followed her recipes using a substitute such as goats cheese or oat milk? Any ideas welcome.

Thanks so much.

FartnissEverbeans Mon 04-Dec-17 16:25:50

My son has an egg allergy too! It's a pain but I'm so used to it now that it's not a problem.

My favourite product is called Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer. It's brilliant! I use it in baking and you wouldn't know the difference. It's just tapioca flour so no weird chemical ingredients. You can buy it from amazon and it lasts for ages - I've only bought two bags in six months - each bag is equivalent to something like 34 eggs.

I've been surprised how many recipes don't really need egg. For example, meatballs/patties etc don't actually need egg as a binder at all.

FartnissEverbeans Mon 04-Dec-17 16:26:29

And I would go ahead and use a cow's milk substitute just as you'd use normal milk in recipes.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 09-Dec-17 08:47:42

How about Spag Bol with egg free pasta, fish pie, ham sandwich (check the bread and ham obviously 🙂), chunky soup, beef stew. If you make a curry, you could add a dollop of Oakley cream to reduce the heat, same with chilli and rice or jacket potatoes or how about these salmon fishcakes?

Pitta Pizza is a quick meal. Cover with tomato purée, add DF cheese and sautéed veg and grill. You can make them up, then freeze them. Grill once defrosted.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sat 09-Dec-17 08:48:32

*Oatley 🙂

Ponocky Wed 27-Dec-17 22:47:20

Hi OP! My 8 month old son has CMPA and I use plant based milks in any recipe that calls for cows milk. They work really well! For savoury recipes I use an oat based milk called Oatly, which a PP suggested. For others I experiment with almond, cashew, coconut or plain soya milk. I'm assuming your little one isn't allergic to nuts or soya also though? Our dietitan advised us against using any other animal milk such as goat or sheep, as well as rice milk, until baby turns one.

I also use Violife vegan cheeses. They don't taste much like cows cheese until you heat them up for some reason? So grate them into a dish or put them on toast and they're actually quite tasty! Not cheap though unfortunately. I also use dairy free spreads like Pure, but loads of supermarkets have their own, cheaper versions which are just as good.

For pudding, soya yogurts are a god send! Loads of pre-made and own brand custard have milk in, but Birds original custard (in the big, old school tubs) are milk free. Just make it up with a plant based milk of your choice, though in my opinion I find almond milk works the best taste wise. Milk jelly is a winner too! Get some sugar free jelly, add half of the amount of boiling water stated on the packet, leave to cool and then add the other half with your milk substitute instead. I.e. if it states a pint of boiling water then use 500ml water and 500ml milk smile

trixymalixy Wed 27-Dec-17 22:54:38

My DS is allergic to dairy and eggs. It's easier to make recipes that are usually dairy and egg free rather than substitute imho. Dairy free cheese is vile although DS seems to like it as he's never had real cheese.

At that age my two loved butternut squash risotto, spaghetti
Bolognese and lentil soup. I also used to put a sweet potato in the microwave for 5 mins and then scoop out the insides.

SecretLimonadeDrinker Wed 27-Dec-17 22:56:17

Hi, we're egg free too and have recently catered for a dairy free relative. Oat milk is a good substitute for milk. We use vitalite for dairy free spread, in baking applesauce or bananas are a good substitute. There are also a lot of vegan/ free from ranges now. Tesco free from dairy bread does contain egg though.

SecretLimonadeDrinker Wed 27-Dec-17 23:00:39

Oh and sometimes a brand name could contain egg/dairy but the supermarket own does not.

doleritedinosaur Wed 27-Dec-17 23:06:37

I have dairy & soya free DC’s & it is a bit of a pain but oatly are amazing.
They do chocolate “milk”, creme fraiche, vanilla custard & cream. I use them a lot for recipes.

Aldi has dairy free pastry which is great for pies, tarts & pasties & sausage rolls.

Flora freedom is best for baking/cooking. It’s usually on offer for a pound somewhere so is good to stock up.

Chickpea water is a good egg replaced - aquafa I think it’s called.

Look at vegan groups/recipes or on peta for products as they’re definitely egg & dairy free.

I make pasta with veg in a plant milk or cream sauce.
Lasagne with free from white sauce, sausage casserole, fishcakes with mashed potato, butternut squash risotto, sweetcorn fritters, Cous Cous & butternut squash fritters, cottage pie, enchiladas, veg wellington.

StephB2017 Thu 18-Jan-18 19:13:23

Hi everyone, sorry it's taken a while to answer but thank you so much for your responses. I have actually started using Oatly and love it -
does anyone know though if it's OK to use in meals and then freeze them? (the cream and creme fraiche )

Also, one more question - calcium. Worried my son is missing out as he has no dairy. He is still breastfed in the mornings. Will he be getting enough calcium from my breastmilk (even though I too have obviously had to cut out dairy)? I can't seem to find a firm answer on this.

Thanks again mummies! smile

AssassinatedBeauty Thu 18-Jan-18 19:16:44

I think all the Oatly products have added calcium in them, check the nutrition labels. I would cook and freeze as normal, no reason why not.

Look at vegan sites for ideas about non-dairy sources of calcium for children.

Acorncat Thu 18-Jan-18 21:40:22

The organic oatly doesn't have calcium so avoid that. koko do a nice plain yoghurt with added calcium, they do other flavours but they're pretty high in sugar.

KatnissMellark Thu 18-Jan-18 21:52:59

Dairy and egg free breastfeeding mother here too!

You need to take a supplement yourself of calcium and vitamin d to avoid problem later in life (bones, teeth etc)

DS will be getting calcium through your BM, another good source is ready brek/smooth porridge-if you can buy oatly barista (foamable)- grey carton this is equivalent to blue top cow's milk- make it up with this.

Use alternative yoghurts/cheeses that have been fortified with calcium-my DS likes koko-you can get these in Tesco.

Do not use goat or sheep milk as a sub as this is too similar to cow's milk.

Vitalite is vile IMO, pure spread is much better.

For yourself, choc chip hobnobs and own brand Jaffa cakes are usually dairy free.

On Facebook there are a number of CMPA support groups- CMPA support for weaning and CMPA support for breastfeeding- these are great for any queries you have and just generally browsing when you're hungry and trying to work out what you can eat!

In terms of eating out, nandos are great, pizza express, zizzi and pizza hut all do vegan cheese too!

Friedgreen Thu 18-Jan-18 21:55:19

I make white sauces with soy or oat milk, vitality and vegan cheese. Or with soy /dairy free cream substitute. Egg replacers are available at most supermarkets and Indian shops.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 19-Jan-18 07:27:09

Agree with the previous posters about freezing and calcium. If you’re worried about calcium fish with bones is excellent so try him with things like sardines on toast and fishcakes made with tinned salmon with bones. Mine love a salmon and cucumber sandwich too. Dried figs are high in calcium and so is brocolli. Ready Brek and sone white breads are fortified too.

Bowerbird5 Fri 19-Jan-18 07:41:17

I had a son who was like this until seven.

Lots of plant based ones I would think HV would say avoid nut based but there was a trend to introduce nuts earlier to avoid allergies. I wouldn't risk it at 10 mths. My son. A daughter are allergic to soya so be aware. If you get lots of horrible ,stinky nappies then there might be your answer.
Agree look at vegan recipes. Egg substitutes can be found in health food shops. There used to be a vegetarian baby book which I think had some vegan recipes. I can't remember the name of it.
My daughter is vegan( adult now) and I'm dairy/ soya free and I don't find it that difficult. You have to keep the milks at a low, slow heat when making white sauces as they curdle easily. I use a whisk if that happens which improves it.
My son was actually fine with goats milk. It is different to cows milk but ours was from local goats out feeding on fields and hedgerows not commercial goats milk,we even considered getting one once.
Pizza ( bit young for that yet) substitute hoummus for cheese and it is delicious.
You will get used to it. Going out is difficult. My daughter always has a bag of snacks with her especially when she comes home. She lives right down south where it is much more accommodating to dietry and vegan needs.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 19-Jan-18 18:51:20

Pizza ( bit young for that yet) baby could have pizza made with an alternative cheese surely. OP check out Violife for Pizza smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now