Talk

Advanced search

Finger Food Ideas?

(12 Posts)
HeyPresto2016 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:41:11

Hello!

My daughter is 11 months old and enjoys eating although she has quite a small appetite. I’m trying to introduce new foods to her in order to keep her interest and expose her to as many new foods as possible however I’m starting to run out of ideas!

I thought I’d list her top three favourite foods below and wondered if people would like to share their kids’ top three (or more) maybe too!

It’d be great to get some new ideas as I’m sure I’m missing lots! Hopefully we can get a good list!

Anyway, let’s see... in no particular order my daughters favourites seem to be:

One egg omelette with cheddar cheese grated in cooked in butter
Sweet potato cakes make by steaming sweet potato then mashing with some garlic, coriander, cumin and flour, then frying or baking
Roast chicken tossed in a small amount of pesto

I try to keep all recipes I make her quick (under 30 minutes) and where possible to tie in with what me and my husband are eating.

Please send any ideas!! I also feed her steamed vegetables, avocado, peas and so on but would be very grateful for any suggestions!

xxx

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 07-Nov-17 18:52:29

Both DC loved Cheese straws.

DC1 loved toast with anything and DC2 loved hummus with anything. Her absolute favourites at that age were eggy bread and anything we were eating.

HeyPresto2016 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:39:26

Thank you! They are great ideas! How did you serve the hummus? As a dip or as a spread? xxx

pastabest Tue 07-Nov-17 19:52:11

My daughter eats everything (including numerous non edible things) but at 9 months her favourites are:

Pasta shells in tomato sauce (a squeeze of tomato purée, a bit of milk or cream - just enough to coat the shells, a bit of paprika and anything else leftover I can chuck in like chicken/prawns/peas)

Fish fingers (I guess you could make them if you wanted to, DD just gets birds eye grin)

Stir fry - don't ask me how she manages the noodles but she manages somehow

Chips of any variety.

HeyPresto2016 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:18:03

Thank you @pastabest! I hadn’t even thought of fish fingers 🙄! I’ve been giving her baked cod but this is an excellent idea for variation! And pasta shells too!

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 07-Nov-17 20:42:39

DiD would have the hummus with everything, even jacket potato. She loved it with raw veg, crackers, bread sticks and even toast. Mainly with veg though 🙂

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 07-Nov-17 20:45:17

If you want to try something similar to fish fingers, we cut salmon into chicken nugget size pieces, dip in egg then roll in breadcrumbs and bake for about 10 mins.

HeyPresto2016 Tue 07-Nov-17 21:25:31

I’m definitely going to try that with salmon, thanks @EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic! Almost like salmon scampi!

Hummus is so delicious, I think I might try it with potato too. I really hope she turns into a hummus fiend like me! x

schoolgaterebel Wed 08-Nov-17 08:36:12

Do you have Instagram?

There are some great accounts with mum's sharing meal ideas, the successes and failures, some really good ideas and often interesting food combinations which really work.

HeyPresto2016 Wed 08-Nov-17 13:08:44

Hi @schoolgaterebel yes, I do! Which ones would you recommend following? Thanks! X

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 08-Nov-17 20:02:44

When I was stuck for ideas Hey, I borrowed this book from the library. Not sure instagram was around then 😀

HeyPresto2016 Wed 08-Nov-17 21:37:48

@EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic that looks great, thank you, I’ll check it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now