Advanced search

Probiotics for breastfed baby?

(10 Posts)
Orlofina Tue 07-Nov-17 13:34:59

Hi all, am having some issues with weaning and hoping someone can offer some advice.

My nearly 7month old baby enjoys her food - purée plus BLW chunks - but had awful wind and constipation. She wakes frequently in the night in pain, and has been pooing just once a fortnight! We’ve resorted to lactulose yesterday which helped but wondering what else I can do. Would probiotics help? If so, any recommendations? She’s just having fruit and veg at the moment. We’ve tried massage, prunes, pear etc but nothing seems to work. Help!

princesseggo Tue 07-Nov-17 13:50:23

Had a lot of issues with constipation (not so much wind)when I started to wean DD. She would go every 3-4 days and would be screaming when she was trying to poop.
We tried everything, cutting out certain foods, prunes etc. Lactulose didn’t really help either.
The only thing that helped is water. Offer it to them at every opportunity and if they don’t like it put the tiniest amount of orange juice to sweeten

Orlofina Tue 07-Nov-17 15:07:50

Luckily the lactulose seemed to help, but don’t want to rely on it or take it every day. Definitely need to be offering more water I think, also for myself, I keep forgetting to drink enough. Maybe that would also help DDs hydration levels.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 07-Nov-17 18:55:07

Agree, you need to offer water with every meal but I was wondering how often you are offering solids? Is it more than twice a day?

Orlofina Wed 08-Nov-17 09:14:48

Nope, just once so she’s only really having a tiny amount.

SandSnakeofDorne Wed 08-Nov-17 09:18:46

Could you try giving her a bit of kefir? Have you been to the Dr? I think pooing once a week is within normal, but once a fortnight seems a bit too little.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 08-Nov-17 19:45:52

Could you have 2 or three days without solids to give her chance to get back to normal then try again with the solids? It doesn’t have to be an all or nothing process, it’s fine to miss a few days 🙂

Orlofina Sun 12-Nov-17 22:46:18

Whoops just checking back in!

SandSnakeofDorne we’ve been to the GP twice now, who just advised plenty of water and keep a food diary.

We’ve also had a few days off and that definitely seemed to help. The last few nights have been better (but still no poo), however baby grabbed some bulgar wheat and lamb when out for much earlier ..... am sure we’ll hear the effects later tonight

oreosoreosoreos Sun 12-Nov-17 22:50:27

Try beetroot - either in juice form or chunks to eat. Just don’t freak out when the poo comes out red-pink!

Orlofina Tue 28-Nov-17 19:22:04

Lol will look out for that!

Situation is much better now, whether it was the kimchi or passage of time I don’t know but thankful nonetheless!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now