Talk

Advanced search

Weaning a sick baby early?

(7 Posts)
Eddierussett Sat 28-Oct-17 22:21:10

My five and a half month old has been sick from the start. The doctors thought it was probably reflux but as he was gaining weight normally have never wanted to give any medication for it. Just recently he has been vomiting larger amounts more often (and when sitting up not just when laid down) and seeming more upset just before and after vomiting.

After doing some googling, I have seen some suggestions that weaning earlier than 6 months is good for babies with reflux but they are all a few years old so in was wondering if that is outdated advice? My hv is about as much use as a chocolate teapot when it comes to giving advice (saw them last week and they didn't even mention weaning coming up or hand out the NHS booklet on it) so wondering if anyone knows about this?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 07-Nov-17 18:23:01

HOw are you getting on now @Eddierussett? As I understand it, but I could be wrong, reflux is a symptom rather than a diagnosis. Does he have any other symptoms as well as the vomiting?

Have yiu started Weaning and if so, has baby improved at all?

ApplesTheHare Tue 07-Nov-17 18:25:27

We found Dd's unexplained reflux improved after the consultant advised us to try early weaning. Switching to ff from bf really helped too.

ApplesTheHare Tue 07-Nov-17 18:27:05

P.s. Hope you're coping with the reflux Eddie It's hard to communicate how much it gets you down. I remember everything got so much easier with DD and I felt like I could finally enjoy time with my baby once it started to go.

Eddierussett Mon 13-Nov-17 13:20:10

Thanks from your comments! For some reason I only just got the email saying I had responses and forgot to check back.

We are thinking of weaning next weekend so it won't actually be early by then. He is still being sick and finding the acid uncomfortable. A combination of reflux and mucus filled nose means he currently only sleeps at night on his side in our bed (so basically everything youre told not to do) and will wake up choking/coughing on occasion.

I am a bit worried in am pinning everything on weaning being the solution and it may not be...

Jadehxx Mon 13-Nov-17 13:22:42

Hello, no advice on the weaning although my 5 month old was finally given a solution, lactose free formula! I don’t know if that’s yours but the symptoms sound very similar smile

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 13-Nov-17 20:13:04

I’ve got Cows Milk Protein Allergy. I’d look into that too 🙂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now