Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Failing at baby led weaning :(

(6 Posts)
Kintan Fri 27-Oct-17 09:45:07

We started with a mixture of vegetable purees and finger food at 6 months, which I thought was the best of both worlds. Then 9 month old DS started refusing spoon feeding about a month ago, so we are purely baby led weaning now. But I feel like I am doing something wrong - most things just end up on the floor, and he isn't really eating any vegetables.

I either give him what we are eating or make things like roast vegetables, scrambled eggs, or toast with almond butter/hommous/pate, with a selection of vegetables like broccoli or baby corn. But he eats very little of anything.

At least with the purees I knew he was actually getting some nutrients from food. He is a good weight still (on the 75% percentile), although we are still breast feeding on demand. However I am hoping to slowly wean him off his reliance on breast milk as I am going back to work in January part-time. Also he wont take a bottle anyway.

Can any baby led weaners give me some advice? What does a typical day's eating look like for you? How do you get them to eat a balanced diet? Thank you!

1sttimemama1986 Fri 27-Oct-17 09:51:44

My little boy is 18 months now so I can’t recall details but definitely most food was on the floor / played with till at least one years old. Milk is the main source of nutrients at this time so I wouldn’t be concerned. Make sure he is having vitamins, may reassure you a little too. All the best x

SleveMcDichael Fri 27-Oct-17 09:54:26

January is several months away. DD aye next to nothing until she was about 11 months - and then she started to eat a lot more. I didn't do anything different, she just started to figure it out.

It's too easy to say 'don't worry' - you will. I Did, endlessly. But if he's still taking plenty of milk (main source of nutrition before 1) and his weight is fine - then he's okay. It's so hard when they're slow to get it, but you still have time. He will figure it out soon enough.

furryelephant Fri 27-Oct-17 09:55:13

Honestly, you don’t need to worry too much yet. My dd is 11 months and only recently has really started eating a bit more! Some days she wants me to feed her it with a fork, some days she’ll pick it up herself. But at least 50% of meals end up in the dogs! They get the hang of it eventually smileI like to remind myself of the saying that food is for fun until they’re 1!

SleveMcDichael Fri 27-Oct-17 09:56:14

Actually, I lie. The one thing I changed was offering a lot more snacks. So if she was hungry, she got offered a snack before a breastfeed. I don't know if this made any difference, but she began to pick it up quite quickly soon after.

Kintan Fri 27-Oct-17 10:34:38

Thank you so much everyone - I am feeling much better about this whole food situation already! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now