Talk

Advanced search

How much milk for 8 month old?

(6 Posts)
MumNeedsTea Wed 09-Aug-17 11:50:22

I should know the answer as this is for DS2, but I seem to have forgotten everything!

Currently, DS2 has the following schedule..
1. Breastfeed in the morning
2. Breakfast (usually baby cereal or porridge with fruits)
3. Morning nap
4. Snack (cheese/rice cakes/fruit/bread sticks)
5. Lunch
6. Afternoon nap
7. Breastfeed with a small snack
8. Dinner
9. Breastfeed before bed time

What happens at night is a completely different story and needs a thread of its own! Currently feeding every 2 hours due to illness sad

Assuming he has only feed during the night once he gets better, how many other feeds does he need during the day? Is the single breastfeed post afternoon nap enough, or shall I also breast feed post morning nap?

I am back at work soon, so the day time feeds will be replaced by a formula bottle. That will leave him with breast feeds in the morning, evening and whatever he takes at night.

He is doing really well with solids. So should I let him continue eating solids well or go with the 'food is just for fun' rule and give him more formula/breastfeeds confused

TIA

MumNeedsTea Wed 09-Aug-17 16:30:26

Bump

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 09-Aug-17 18:01:17

I'm absolutely rubbish at working out how much they need when you are combi feeding. If it's any help, I went back at 9 and 10 months. Mine were fed morning, pick up and bedtime and once or twice in the night. If they wanted milk while I wasn't there, they had a cup of milk.

mindutopia Tue 15-Aug-17 14:53:05

Is he getting hungry between meals in the morning? Mine was FF by 8 months, but was still having 6 feeds in 24 hours, so first thing in the morning before breakfast, mid-morning, early afternoon, late afternoon and then before bed, plus 3 meals a day. Then she had one night feed too. The night feed dropped on its own at 9 months when she started to refuse it and just fell back asleep. The mid-morning feed dropped and the two afternoon ones merged into one before naptime around 10 months, so then her day looked a bit more like yours. But if he isn't hungry for more than that, I think that sounds fine.

Slumberparty Wed 16-Aug-17 01:54:56

My 8 month old is FF and is having 4 feeds a day :
7am: Morning bottle
8.30: Breakfast
Nap
11am: bottle
1pm: Lunch
Nap
3pm bottle
5.30: Dinner
7pm:Bedtime bottle

Sometimes we skip the 11am or 3pm bottle if naps / meal times have been early or late for whatever reason. Her appetite seems to really vary from week to week. Some days she drinks around 600ml a day others she'll just take around 400ml.
I don't really know if this schedule is right... seems like constant feeding!

MumNeedsTea Thu 17-Aug-17 12:53:53

Thanks for your replies!

DS is definitely hungry between meals and is having a snack. I am now giving him a feed for his morning and afternoon snack, along with a piece of fruit/breadstick/cheese.

Any tips on moving on to formula? I am back at work soon and DS is just refusing the bottle! We have tried various formula brands and no luck sad
Shall we try a different bottle? We have the medela ones right now.

Thanks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now