Talk

Advanced search

Reducing bottles

(6 Posts)
Hendersonsisnotrelish Fri 04-Aug-17 19:22:17

Nearly 10 month old DD has 4 8oz bottles a day. 7am 9am 1.30/2 and before bed at 7pm.
Hasn't had milk through the night since before 7 months when I stopped breastfeeding and she was sleeping through every night at the time.

Weaning is going really well and she eats 3 good meals a day with a second course at lunch and dinner but is still taking all 4 bottles.

For a while she seemed to be reducing the amount of milk she took at her 9.30 and 1.30 bottle so was thinking about moving down to 3 bottles but has recently started finishing all bottles again.

I have read we should be looking to stop bottles by 1 so was wondering should I be aiming to cut out a bottle now or just go with what she wants?

Any advice would be much appreciated as googling is just not helping me! Thanks

GreenGoblin0 Sat 05-Aug-17 07:33:08

from the age of one children still need to have around 350 mls of milk per day (8oz) but you can switch to cows milk at this point. the dropping of bottles refers to getting baby to drink from a cup rather than a bottle not cutting out the milk complely

www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/understanding-food-groups.aspx

GreenGoblin0 Sat 05-Aug-17 07:35:56

sorry I misread your post - thought you meant that baby was only taking 8oz per day not 8oz per feed. you could try to increase amount of food offered but if weaning going well then I wouldn't drop milk if this is what she wants but perhaps try to offer milk via cup for at least one feed at a time to get her used to it

Hendersonsisnotrelish Sat 05-Aug-17 08:22:38

Thanks for replying. I'm not sure I could increase her food she eats loads! Good idea to swap one for a cup though maybe I'll try giving a cup of milk with breakfast at 7.30. Breakfast is the meal she eats the least at so that may work thank you!

GreenGoblin0 Sat 05-Aug-17 08:40:21

just go with her then..it doesn't matter if she still drinks lots of milk even when she is one if she is eating well

Hendersonsisnotrelish Sat 05-Aug-17 08:47:31

Great I'll do just that! Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now