Talk

Advanced search

Help with meal/milk times?

(3 Posts)
crazypenguinlady Mon 31-Jul-17 21:47:20

I'll be starting to wean my son within the next couple of weeks. At the moment, we don't have any strict routine. He's fed pretty much on demand (formula) and usually takes about 7oz but tend to be approx every 2.5-3 hours but I kind of go around him. He usually wakes around 6-6.30am but again, that can vary slightly.

So for example, he'll wake about 6.30am have a bottle, play, then about 2.5 hours later will have another bottle to go down for morning nap. After that, he'll have a bottle every 2-3 hours.

However, he will sometimes wake at 5am for milk then go back to sleep. When I start weaning him, do I need to set him in a more strict routine for food and milk? If he wakes at 5am some days, do I consider this his morning milk then give him breakfast when he wakes back up or do I go from 6.30am onwards?

Not sure if this actually makes any sense 😂 I'm a FTM if you can tell. The only thing we're in a proper routine with as bedtime, he tends to have a bath at about 6pm then bottle and bed. He's put himself into this routine from a few weeks old and goes into meltdown if it's much later, so I'm thinking I need to work around this mostly and give him his evening meal around 5-5.15pm.

Do I need to just relax and take it by day until we fall into a more natural routine?? grin

AssassinatedBeauty Mon 31-Jul-17 23:30:28

You don't need to go straight to 3 meals a day, start with just one. It doesn't matter if it's breakfast, lunch or dinner - whichever is easiest to fit in. You only need to work up to 3 meals a day by about 8 to 9 months. It also doesn't matter if you skip a day if it really doesn't fit in that day for whatever reason. Milk is still the main source of nutrition, food will just be for tastes, textures etc to begin with.

It's probably best to offer food about an hour after milk, then they're not starving but they're not too full either. So if you do breakfast, you could do it an hour after a morning milk feed.

FartnissEverbeans Thu 03-Aug-17 00:00:41

I just started with the odd bit of purée here and there, nothing approaching meals. It was just a bit of fun at the start. I always offered milk first then food about an hour later, following advice I read on Mumsnet.

I learned not to offer food when he was properly hungry as he wasn't efficient enough at eating it and would just get frustrated and upset.

We then went through a kind of limbo period where I didn't know whether to feed him or give him a bottle and it was all a bit stressful! However, that's settled down now, and his routine is, for the first time ever, quite organized... (for now)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now