Talk

Advanced search

stupid question?

(8 Posts)
user1465146157 Thu 20-Jul-17 00:05:18

Im new to this so maybe daft BUT this weaning thing...

Puree - just one ice cube sized portion a day at first? how long does that last? when does it become more?

stuff like finger food - cucumber batons, toast fingers - thats of course when they have teeth right?

is it 12 months when they stop milk and its all just solids 3 meals a day?

reading a lot about just letting them have what you have? HOW? surely they can't?

people on here are recommending pasta - is this not hazardous?

reading so many conflicting things and its scaring me when i was quite excited about weaning at first

GlitteryFluff Thu 20-Jul-17 00:27:34

Finger foods - they don't necessarily need teeth. If you steam or boil carrot sticks for example they'll be soft enough to gum. Any veg, fruit, meat etc

Dish up what you're having - again they'll gum it or smoosh it with their hands to their face.

They'll still have milk at a year but will be cows milk and offered as a drink on top of the meals not instead of.

At first you just want them to experience the textures and sensations so doesn't matter how much they actually eat.

Just remember to half lengthways or quarter grapes, cherry tomatoes.
Popcorn is a choking hazard so avoid.
No Honey before a year
No whole nuts.
Everything else is ok I think.

Also learn different between choking and gagging. Gagging perfectly normal, choking not so much. Look up st johns ambulance for video of what to do if baby is actually choking, will make you feel a bit calmer hopefully as you'll be prepared just in case.

JellyMouldJnr Thu 20-Jul-17 06:33:55

In terms of amounts, just give them what they'll eat. That will probably start with 1-2 cubes and quickly increase. You'll get a feel for it. Be led by your baby.

teaandbiscuitsforme Thu 20-Jul-17 07:59:33

Giving solid food (what you're having) from the start tends to come under the label 'Baby led weaning' so you could look that up.

Otherwise you're doing traditional weaning which is purées and finger foods.

Baby's gums are really tough so they can handle much more than you think, even without teeth.

RoganJosh Thu 20-Jul-17 08:02:05

My eldest two didn't get their first teeth till 12 months. They had finger food from six months and managed fine. I didn't cook it it anything either.

RoganJosh Thu 20-Jul-17 08:02:19

*or anything

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Thu 20-Jul-17 08:15:47

Have you read the MN info on Weaning user, it's got a handy timetable smile

user1465146157 Tue 08-Aug-17 12:58:41

thanks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now