Talk

Advanced search

Weaning issues!

(12 Posts)
wingingit2 Wed 19-Jul-17 14:14:25

My lg is 6 months old. I started her with babyrice around 5 months as she was so ibterested in us eating. She's bit enthusiastic at all, the babyrice was a bust so tried pirrudge which was slightly better. Now at 6 mo I've tried her with veg purees, broccoli and parsnip so far. She just doesn't seem interested, she doesn't open her mouth for it, if i sneak it in she just holds her miuth open and it eventually dribbles out, occasionally she looks like she tries to open her mouth but not wide enough and when i put the spoon in she clamps it shut, if she opens for it she more often than not spits it out anyway! I didnt have this issue with my first so I'm at a loss. I know its fsurky early days but after 4 weeks of trying rice or porridge i thought she would be a little better with opening her mouth etc. I expected gagging etc but wasn't prepared for the lack of enthusiasm! I've given her some wafer things to try which she has a go at, spits out a lot of what goes in or gags. I wanted to do s mixture of spoin feeding and finger food as i did with my first rather than BLW for each meal. Any tips or words of wisdom!?

FreeWeezy Wed 19-Jul-17 14:16:39

It is really early days. Every baby is different. She doesn't need any solids yet and if she doesn't seem interested I'd give it a rest for a week and try again. She will eat when she's ready, there's no need to rush things smile

MrsBadger Wed 19-Jul-17 14:18:17

Sounds like she's not ready, poor scrap. Let her go at her own pace.

Keep offering her things (spoon and finger food) but don't worry if she's not interested and def don't sneak it in when she's not asking for it. Don't bother buying special wafers etc as it only makes you more stressed when she won't eat it - just give her some toast off your plate.

One day she'll grab for it and you won't look back smile

wingingit2 Wed 19-Jul-17 14:34:37

Thanks ladies, I'll keep trying but won't push it either!

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Wed 19-Jul-17 19:33:25

My DD wouldn't let a spoon near her and sounds very much like yours but with possibly more shouting and pushing the spoon away! smile

I ended up doing blw just so that I could eat and look after DC1.

She really doesn't need to be eating yet and it's fine to offer food every other day.

It's easier said than done, but just relax.

EdwardGorey Thu 20-Jul-17 11:00:04

We've been at it for four months, and while we're a bit further along than you, it's been painfully slow. Some kids just don't take to it! Just keep offering. It gets very boring, but it does start to change eventually. Sort of. Slowly. You'll soon be able to tell from the nappies that there's more going in than you realise. Never thought I'd take such consolation from a stinky nappy! grin

yellowgymball Thu 20-Jul-17 11:04:10

Sounds like she just isn't ready.

The earliest recommended age for a typical baby is 6 months.

I would just offer bits off your plate when you are eating, offer the occasional spoon of yogurt or porridge and hang on until she shows a proper interest before making meals specifically for her.

wingingit2 Thu 20-Jul-17 13:59:05

What is a proper interest though? I thought it was being interested when we eat, which she is, what other signs are there?

MrsBadger Thu 20-Jul-17 14:31:56

picking it up and putting it in her mouth!

babies this age are interested in whatever we do eg playing on our phones, eating, driving car, reading newspaper - doens't mean they're ready to do it just yet grin

if she's sitting up well in a highchair just let her sit with you all at meals and give her a bit to play with. You may find (well you've already found) that she won't be exactly the same as your first dc so don't expect it to go exactly the same way

Sluttybartfast Thu 20-Jul-17 14:35:32

Like pps said she either isn't ready or isn't willing to be spoon-fed. Stick a few bits of food from your plate in front of her occasionally or offer a small spoonful of what you're eating but otherwise don't stress and don't do anything. Like a pp says, you'll know she's ready when she grabs something off your plate, puts it in her mouth, chews and swallows it. smile

kingfishergreen Thu 20-Jul-17 15:02:38

DD is 9mo. We started weaning a 6mo. She would always eat certain things (yogurt with fruit puree, weetabix and banana, a fist full of bread), but didn't have any interest in anything else we cooked for her.

Only in the last two weeks has she really got into it, she's been eating pasta by the handful, and will try almost anything.

We just kept on offering her things, keeping her milk-intake high until one day it just clicked into place.

She'll be ready soon enough, just keep offering her different things.

DD especially likes food she can hold, sticks of fruit and veg etc.

wingingit2 Thu 20-Jul-17 19:40:14

Thanks so much for all the tips and words of encouragement. I can't tell you how helpful it is to know I'm not alone!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now