Talk

Advanced search

Black/Red currants, gooseberrys & Cherrys

(11 Posts)
NutCase82 Tue 18-Jul-17 11:53:08

Help!

I have loads of the following fruit growing in my garden...

Red currant
Black currant
Cherry
Gooseberry
Apple
Cooking apple
Pear

I'd love to make purées to freeze for my baby but have looked, in vain, for recipes to include the top four fruits!

The top four are just about ripe and I've already collected loads with more to ripen so need to do something with them!! Any ideas? Does anyone know if there's a reason they're not included in most recipes? Money is an issue so free/cheap food after breastfeeding is essential! Please help. This is my first (only?!) baby and want her to have the best I can offer!

Snozwanger Tue 18-Jul-17 11:57:32

I don't see why you couldn't use them but I think the black currants or redcurrants could be a bit tart on their own. I'd maybe cook those in combination with a milder fruit like apple or pear. I'd probably only mix two or three fruit myself.
Sorry I can't help with recipes!

Snozwanger Tue 18-Jul-17 11:59:37

If you mix the gooseberry with some custard that would make it less tart too. If you made your custard from the powdered type then you can control how much sugar baby has.

NutCase82 Tue 18-Jul-17 12:06:19

That's exactly what I was thinking, the custard idea is great (I hate the stuff so never thought of that!) but I thought I could purée and freeze fruit as it ripens then defrost one black currant to two apple ice cubes if that makes sense. I'm just baffled that google hasn't helped me out more and wondered if they contained something unsuitable for babies or something! I've had very, very limited baby experience so I haven't a clue with certain things...but google normally helps!
Thank you for your response 🍰

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 18-Jul-17 17:43:18

What about frozen yoghurt with the fruit stewed and swirled through?

Also, you can freeze cherries whole and give them however you like.

Red currants/black currants are just really unpopular these days, you can barely buy them in shops so there's very few recipes as a result. They would need a bit of sugar to make them more palatable, as would the gooseberries.

NutCase82 Tue 18-Jul-17 19:10:59

Another great idea, I'm so unimaginative when it comes to food unfortunately

WildCherryBlossom Tue 18-Jul-17 20:47:46

Puréed fruit in ice cube trays is perfect weaning food. One or two ice different cubes (e.g. Pear & black currant mixed with a little baby rice to make it slight more filling). That's exactly what I did with my kids. Babies often have a sweetish tooth so you might find butternut squash / carrots / parsnips / sweet potatoes are popular too. You can mix these with your fruit (pear & parsnip for example). Butternut squash / pumpkin is quite easy to grow (although late to start this season - you might be able to buy a plant)

NutCase82 Thu 20-Jul-17 15:19:29

That's exactly what I will do, my ice trays have arrived so the fun can really begin now. Things I can buy (and don't grow) will be added in at the time but I'm determined not to let this seasons fruit go to waste so will freeze that as and when it ripens. 👏 can't wait to make a mess of the kitchen 😂

FartnissEverbeans Sat 22-Jul-17 21:43:57

Ella's Kitchen make a purée pouch called The Purple One which contains blackcurrant, banana and blueberry (no other ingredients). That could be quite a nice combination?

MoHunter Mon 24-Jul-17 08:46:26

I wouldn't add sugar, baby's palate is still developing so they don't need it to be overly sweet, but mixing stewed berries with apple / banana should be good.
Fruit purees can then be added to porridge, plain yoghurt, homemade rice pudding, etc.
Depending on baby's age you could also just halve the berries and offer as finger food, I have done with blueberries and cherries for example.

NutCase82 Mon 24-Jul-17 21:55:01

Excellent thank you all!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now