Talk

Advanced search

Can I refreeze foods used from the freezer?

(4 Posts)
crazypenguinlady Tue 04-Jul-17 07:34:49

I'll be starting my son on solids at some point next month. I'm planning to making up several purees at a time to keep in the freezer. If, for example, can I use frozen mango to make a puree then freeze it back down in portions?

What about using frozen fish, can that also be cooked then refrozen?

Rumtopf Tue 04-Jul-17 08:19:31

I used to batch cook whatever it was then freeze it in ice-cube trays, once frozen pop them out into big labelled tubs and then just defrost one or two cubes at a time.

Do you mean using frozen fish to begin with? If so, that's fine - defrost raw fish, cook, cool quickly, portion into ice-cube tray, freeze and then store. Defrost portion at a time and reheat until piping hot and allow to cool for eating.

CornishYarg Tue 04-Jul-17 23:12:29

As long as you cook the defrosted food before freezing it again, it's fine. So defrosting some meat or fish, cooking it then freezing the cooked dish - fine. Defrosting some meat or fish, then deciding you don't need it all and refreezing some of it still raw - not OK.

I'm not sure about the mango as presumably you won't be cooking it, just blitzing it into a puree then refreezing it? But then the risk of bacteria multiplying etc is much lower in fruit and veg than meat and fish, so maybe it's fine?

crazypenguinlady Thu 06-Jul-17 11:41:02

Yeah I meant using frozen fish, cooking it for baby meals then refreezing them. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now