Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BTW fans - can you help?

(9 Posts)
Whatsername17 Fri 23-Jun-17 08:15:48

My dd is 22 weeks, we started weaning on purees 10 days ago. (Please, no chastising me for not waiting until 6 months. The WHO guidelines that inform the NHS'S guidelines are based on the fact that no baby is ready to wean before 17 weeks, but all are ready by 26 weeks. Individual babies are ready at sometime between 17-26 weeks. Dd2 was ready and I'm confident in my choice.) Anyway, as I said, we started with puree and from day one she has loved it. She self feeds by grabbing the puree with her hands and sucking it off her fingers. She often grabs the spoon too. This is a little new to me as Dd1 was like a little bird, just opened her mouth and grunted at me until the spoon met her lips and closed her mouth when she was done. To be honest, it was 5 years ago and I can't remember when we introduced finger foods but I think it was probably 7 months or over. But, Dd2, clearly wants to be involved and I want to follow her lead. I'm happy to let her self feed the mush but at what age can I give her finger foods? If you did blw at what age in weeks did you start and what foods would you recommend?

Whatsername17 Fri 23-Jun-17 08:16:19

Sorry? Autocorrect has changed blw to BTW!

Whatsername17 Fri 23-Jun-17 08:18:32

Oh, and she has two teeth already if that makes a difference?

CatsCatsCats11 Fri 23-Jun-17 08:18:52

We have just started blw at 24 weeks, my DD is having no problem picking things up and chewing on them, she's not swallowing anything yet but we have been weaning less than a week.

CatsCatsCats11 Fri 23-Jun-17 08:19:07

My DD has no teeth.

Foggymist Fri 23-Jun-17 08:23:55

Started at 26 weeks, gave finger food from then. I wouldn't give finger food before 26 weeks.

mintbiscuit Fri 23-Jun-17 08:27:07

Not sure what you are doing is blw. I did blw with my last 2 and didn't use mush/purees. They basically had everything off my plate and sucked, licked, nibbled on it etc. As teeth came through and they got older bits began to get swallowed. I avoided purees and mush as it really didn't feel like it was teaching them about eating (and was way too much hassle for me tbh). Around 8/9 months they really started making a dent in their food i.e. could manage to eat quite a wide variety of foods.

The mess after meal times was awful though! grin

Whatsername17 Fri 23-Jun-17 08:39:56

No its not 'BLW' and I'm fine with that. But I am following my baby's lead - she wants to self feed so I'm letting her. My older dd showed no interest in self feeding until much later but she was a different case altogether because we weaning at 17 weeks on medical advice due to poor weight gain and milk refusal. My personal choice is to do a mix of both. I did that with my older dd and it was successful. I've had no issues with fussy eating, spoon refusal or anything. Everyone and every baby is different.

P1nkSparkles Fri 23-Jun-17 09:09:14

We started at 26 weeks - dd has no teeth, but manages to put away things I have no idea how she manages.

Tbf if you're already feeding her mashed food I can't see why there is reason you couldn't offer her softly cooked vegetables as finger food & see what she does with them.

One of the concepts of BLW is that babies can't pick up/eat food they can't manage & if you've offered them food which they've put it in their mouths themselves & they can't deal with it they'll just let it fall out (it's all to do with where the gag reflexes are & I can confirm this has been consistent with my dd)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now