Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want to stop breastfeeding??

(20 Posts)
AC14MUZ Sat 10-Jun-17 08:21:04

Hi All

My DS is just over 6 months now and we recently started weaning him with baby rice. I told my husband a few days ago I'm exhausted and would like to stop breastfeeding also, something I've done exclusively up until now. My DS wakes every few hours in the night to feed/be at the breast. He is teething and half the time just uses me for comfort. I don't get much milk when I express, not enough for a full feed otherwise id just express and let my DH help with the odd feed.

I feel really guilty as my baby is feeding just fine and my milk production is ok. Should I just suck it up as we are starting transitioning to solids anyway?

SmallBee Sat 10-Jun-17 08:25:16

Nah, I you want to quit then grab the formula and quit. No guilt necessary.
I bf DD for a year but DS for just two weeks. Because it was what suited us best. It's amazing how much easier it is to look after your DC when you're happier and not struggling.

SmallBee Sat 10-Jun-17 08:25:34

If you want *

Islacornx Sat 10-Jun-17 08:50:22

If that's what you would like to do then that's absolutely fine
However I wouldn't stop breastfeeding just because you're exhausted, as having to make up formula and sterilise bottles will take up much more of your time than just taking your boob out, especially overnight and you will actually end up being more tired. I would say the hard bit is over and you've established breastfeeding really well, and in 6 months time you could transition to cows milk if you wanted to stop breastfeeding once baby hit 12 months. Formula is so expensive and you've got your milk currently free!

Either way you've done really well to get to 6 months so far flowers

ThursdayLastWeek Sat 10-Jun-17 08:57:08

mix feeding might work for you? It did for me after 6ish months, meant DH could do some night feeds but I didn't have to faff about taking bottles out in the day.

ThursdayLastWeek Sat 10-Jun-17 08:57:52

But honestly, the only time to feel guilty is if you don't feed your baby at all!

weasledee Sat 10-Jun-17 09:02:11

Don't feel guilty, you've done amazing! I stopped at 6 months with my first and it is easier as you've got others who can now help you!

northdownmummy Sat 10-Jun-17 09:04:47

Im very much pro breastfeeding but also believe that what's most important are a happy baby and mum.

The best advise I've ever heard was "don't quit on a bad day" you'll know yourself that growth spurts, teething, illness are just some of the many reasons for more frequent nursing.

What you can get when expressing is no indication of what the baby is getting. Also you don't need to give up completely if you don't want to. Lots of people combo fed successfully. Maybe your DH could take on night feeds to let you get some more rest.

Really feeling for you, the night feeds are exhausting. Whatever you decide to to you've already give. Your little one a great start in life and you should feel very proud.

NannyOggsKnickers Sat 10-Jun-17 09:06:36

Don't feel guilty. I stopped around the same time with DD and it was a tough decision. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. And ignore the stuff about Bottle feeding being harder- it's not. We used pre-made at night so we didn't have to get up. It also meant that DH and I could take turns putting her to bed and getting up in the night. It gave me back my sanity.

barefootinkitchen Sat 10-Jun-17 09:31:23

Can you try something else to soothe him when he wakes at night to get him out of the habit of night feeds? I found if I didn't do any feeds at night then my body produced a nice lot of milk for the morning one.
I know it's hard to resist just feeding when they're teething though.

fruitpastille Sat 10-Jun-17 09:31:52

I switched to formula after 6 months but did it quite gradually starting with one bottle a day for a couple of weeks then adding another once my supply adjusted. I agree that I found bottles much easier/less tiring. It was dh's job to sterilise and prepare them!

AC14MUZ Sat 10-Jun-17 15:18:00

Thanks everyone, I feel like it's time to get my boobs back a bit, the timing seems great as I found out shortly after posting this thread that we are expecting baby number two which explains the exhaustion. Has anyone had experience of nursing during early pregnancy?!

ElspethFlashman Sat 10-Jun-17 15:23:00

However I wouldn't stop breastfeeding just because you're exhausted, as having to make up formula and sterilise bottles will take up much more of your time than just taking your boob out, especially overnight and you will actually end up being more tired

Sorry but that's laughable.

weasledee Sat 10-Jun-17 15:39:57

I agree elspeth. I've done both breast fed the first for 6 months and bottle fed the second after a couple of weeks. Nobody would deny that breast is better but my word, ive found bottle is easier as you have the help.

Whatsername17 Fri 23-Jun-17 19:40:07

If your lo takes a bottle you might find it quite easy to transition. I started with the night time feed and dropped one feed every 10 days or so and just swapped with for the bottle. My boobs reduced the supply gradually so I didn't get mastitis or anything. Dd preferred the bottle to be honest. The last feeds to drop were the middle of the night ones because bf is more convenient. Now we use a formula dispenser, flask of hot water and bottle of cooled boiled water. We put 2oz of hot water from the flask into a bottle, then add the powder, then add the cold water. Ready in less than a minute. Do not feel guilty, you've done brilliantly flowers

OliviaTheFox Fri 23-Jun-17 20:04:36

Bf dd1 at 23m. Dc2 is due November.
If bloody exhausting but worth it I think still.
However in the past three weeks my milk has dried up so we dry nurseling and she's losing interest, which has helped wean massively.
Do what works for you and you family.
That's the best advise o can give.

FartnissEverbeans Tue 25-Jul-17 00:09:31

However I wouldn't stop breastfeeding just because you're exhausted, as having to make up formula and sterilise bottles will take up much more of your time than just taking your boob out, especially overnight and you will actually end up being more tired.

I doubt it. OP (or her partner) will spend ten mins per day washing and sterilizing bottles. The payoff is the possibility of a several good sleeps per week, if they share responsibility for night feeds.

I don't understand what the big deal is about washing and sterilizing bottles. Literally ten mins per day (and now DS is weaning, ten mins every other day).

Go for it OP, you deserve a good night's sleep after all your hard work

raviolidreaming Tue 25-Jul-17 23:15:50

having to make up formula and sterilise bottles will take up much more of your time than just taking your boob out, especially overnight

I also don't understand this either, unless there are people getting up during the night to do the washing up and use the steriliser?

AC14MUZ Wed 26-Jul-17 07:59:10

I managed to stop a few weeks again, DS is almost 8 months so I feel like we had a good run. I have to say I personally find formula much easier these days. Before bed my DH puts the steriliser on and we take it in turns to get up and feed DS in the night. He seems to only wake twice (fingers crossed) so at least it's just one feed each. I just hope I can breastfeed our next baby for as long!

Ilovejonahhill Wed 26-Jul-17 08:07:40

I'm in the same positron as you, as in wanting to stop breastfeeding (baby is coming up 6 months) but have added problem of milk allergy & reflux and am a little stuck at the moment!

Well done for 6 months (that's what I tell myself!) it's a long hard road & youve done well. Don't feel guilty about any decision you make!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now