Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Dinner ideas? (11 months old)

(9 Posts)
cottonwool125 Sat 27-May-17 17:01:23

I'm really stuck with dinner ideas to give my 11 months old. He's been doing a mix of BLW and spoon feeding since 6 months, and he eats mostly what I do.

Lunches and breakfasts are no problem- normally porridge and fruit for breakfast, then some kind of sandwich, soup or pasta with a yoghurt and a piece of fruit for lunch. However, it's dinner time that I find difficult.

I'm a single mum so I don't cook full dinners for myself every night- a couple of times a week, I'll end up having a ready meal or something from the freezer. I don't want him to have these things as they are often quite high in salt. This is where I need some inspiration!

I do batch cook and then freeze, but I'm very forgetful at remembering to take meals out of the freezer in the morning blush

He's not fussy so willing to give any of your ideas a try smile

dementedpixie Sat 27-May-17 17:08:53

Do you have a microwave? If so, defrost and reheat in there.

carolinexiao Sun 28-May-17 20:32:06

Hello! I've got an almost one year old who has recently decided she doesn't want spoons anymore (apart from for yoghurt..hmm) so I'm also stuck on dinner ideas. So far she'll eat spaghetti bolognese, some sort of potato and veg/broccoli mash with a bit of cheese in, and bits and pieces of cooked veg/fish/potato wedges. That's about it though. Would be good to hear others' ideas. I also worry that she's not eating enough now she's ditched the spoon because feeding herself is a bit all over the place...

cottonwool125 Mon 29-May-17 08:01:31

Dementedpixie yes, I do have a microwave smile I don't know why but I'm always nervous about defrosting things in the microwave- I think I worry that they won't be completely thawed even when I think they are, and I'll make DS poorly! But I do need to put it to better use.

Carolinexiao hopefully we will both get some good ideas grin I tend to avoid spag Bol at all costs unless it's just before DSs bath time- can't deal with the orange mess everywhere! Have you tried filled pasta? DS had fresh filled pasta (tortellini I think it's called- cheese and mushroom was the one I bought), with a veg and tomato sauce that I made- he loved it! A lot more than normal fusilli pasta. That's another one to add to the bank smile

BikeRunSki Mon 29-May-17 08:10:02

I did BLW with both my dc. But he youngest is now 5, so a while ago. Dinners....

Cocktail sausages, roast/steamed veg
Baked new potato "jackets"
Fish fingers (saltiness varies between brands)
Roast chicken and veg (when we were)
Chicken legs and corn cobs - cavemen style!!! (You need a few teeth for this)
Filled pasta was a huge hit - still is!
Wedges and sweet potato wedges
Bowl of peas
Brocolli and cauliflower cheese
Homemade meatballs

Embrace the mess!

cottonwool125 Mon 29-May-17 08:42:08

Bikerunski thank you for your suggestions, they're great. Lots of things we haven't tried! Doesn't have any teeth at the moment, so I have to scrape the sweet corn off the cob for him but he adores it. Definitely want to try making some homemade meatballs and the cauliflower cheese grin thank you!

carolinexiao Mon 29-May-17 10:32:37

Hello,
Is there any particular brand of filled pasta you've found which is low-ish salt etc? Sounds like a great idea! X

cottonwool125 Mon 29-May-17 18:56:13

Carolinexiao the ASDA spinach and ricotta tortellini is quite low- it's 0.8g per half a pack, but DS probably eats about a quarter of a pack so 0.4g per serving. I make a homemade sauce so I know there's no salt in that, so it's a relatively low salt meal apart from the garlic bread he normally steals from my plate smile

BikeRunSki Mon 29-May-17 19:22:29

I also used to make sort of about fritters/tempura things - batter with chopped, cooked veg mixed in and fried up like scotch pancake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now