Talk

Advanced search

Store bought baby food

(6 Posts)
Unexpectedbaby Wed 24-May-17 13:49:38

With the whole BLW attitude and babies having textures before 7+ months now, how much notice do you need to take of ages guides on store bought baby food items.

For example you have meals for 10+ months that are lumpy but can you give them before that during weaning?

I can't find anything, other than texture, that dictates the age guides

Zebrasinpyjamas Wed 24-May-17 13:52:28

I read an independent food report on commercial baby food recently that said store bought food tended to underestimate what texture /lumps a baby could cope with at any set age. However obviously use your common sense.

peaceloveandbiscuits Wed 24-May-17 13:55:46

Honestly, even the lumpy 10m+ meals are textureless sludge. The sizes are bigger, I suppose. I found them handy when out and about because they don't need warming up, you can just grab one in most shops and crack on. Unfortunately DS thought sandwiches were the devil's food until about 2yo, otherwise that would have been a better out and about option!

HerculesParrot Wed 24-May-17 20:50:20

Given that you can give babies pretty much most things from 6 months (if you're doing the BMW thing - I'm not advocating it particularly, but you can give them most things) then I really wouldn't worry about giving a six/seven month old a jar that says 10+ months on it. It isn't going to contain anything they can't eat.

FATEdestiny Wed 24-May-17 21:03:39

I can't find anything, other than texture, that dictates the age guides

I'd go by portion size. Your average 6 month old probably would want a much smaller portion size than the 10m/12m jar.

For the early weaning months (6-9 months ish) I used to give baby a 4m jar of something savoury, followed by soft fruit finger food or spoon feed a yogurt. Then I'd sit her at the dining table who's the rest of the family ate, with a whatever we were having, as served to everyone else, in front of her.

By 9 months she was eating enough of the family meal to not need the baby food jar.

Up until 9 months, she wouldn't have wanted more than a portion the size of the 4m jar, so that she was still interested in the rest of the meal.

Unexpectedbaby Wed 24-May-17 21:18:04

Thank you all. Pretty much confirmed exactly what I thought smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now